Analysis of North Korean Nuclear Crisis. Lecture Note for Pease Studies II November 15, 2006 Sung Chull Kim Hiroshima Peace institute. Preliminary questions. What is the nature of North Korean problem, that is, the nuclear weapons development? Why has North Korea conducted nuclear test?
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Analysis of North Korean Nuclear Crisis
Lecture Note for Pease Studies II
November 15, 2006
Sung Chull Kim
Hiroshima Peace institute
* On October 9, 2006, North Korea conducted nuclear test.
(Both domestic and international)
- shortage of energy, foreign currency, food
- death of Kim Il Sung in 1994
- trade (Trading with Enemy Act, Commercial Control List)
- any loans or credit facilities from international financial institutions such as the IMF and the World Bank
- the status of “beneficiary developing country” under the U.S. Generalized System of Preference
- assistance from Peace Corps programs
- approval for application to investment risk insurance programs in the Overseas Private Investment Corporation
2005: financial sanction on North Korean bank account in Macao (Banco Delta Aisa)
1. no nuclear weapons
2. use of nuclear energy solely for peaceful purpose
3. no nuclear reprocessing, no uranium enrichment
- China’s active role for moderating especially the differences between North Korea and Japan
Joint Statement of the 4th Six-Party talks: 19th Sept. 2005