The Infinitive. Minben High School Pei Anyu. The infinitive. to do. 1. Before Christmas, people usually use Christmas trees ________________________________________ 2. On Christmas Eve, it is a tradition for people _____________________________
Minben High School
to celebrate the festival./ to decorate their houses./
toadd to the festival atmosphere.
to eat a whole turkey./to hold a party./
to havea family reunion.
to bringthem some mysterious gifts./
to drop in at their houses.
1.To lose heart means great failure.
2.The only thing I can do is to study hard.
3. I am looking for a house to live in.
4.He felt it hard to deal with his boss.
5. I’m saving up to buy a computer.
6. It is foolish to believe him.
7. The teacher advised me to have a rest first.
8. She intends to attend the meeting.
The Basic Form: to do
The little boy thinks that the dog wants ___________ and can’t help crying.
to bite him
in the future
The Continuous Form: to be doing
When John passed by,
the old couple happened ____________
to be arguing
Transform the sentences by using the continuous form
1. Situation:Jane fainted and fell to the ground. It happened that I was standing by her at that time.
I happened ________________________when she fainted and fell to the ground.
2.Situation:It seems that the children are getting along with each other quite well.
The children seem ________________________________ quite well.
3.Situation:You are waiting here. I didn’t expect you.
I didn’t expect you ___________________
4.Situation:His son was playing computer games all the time. Mr Smith didn’t like that.
Mr Smith didn’t like his son _______________________ all the time.
to be standing by Jane
to be getting along with each other
to be waiting here.
to be playing computer games
Continue the following sentences by using the continuous form of the infinitive.
1. When the teacher entered the room, _________________________ (这个男孩假装在做作业）
2.I am glad____________________
the boy pretended to be doing his homework.
to be sharing my happiness with you.
He is said to be writing a letter to his friend.
The Perfect Form: to have done
David _________ today’s plan. (finish)
to have finished
David seems __________________today’s plan.
in the past
Use the proper form of the infinitive to finish the sentence.
1. I am sorry ________________you so much trouble
since I moved here. (bring)
2. The president was reported _______________his trip to
3. I happened ______________there once. (be)
to have brought
to have started
to have been
I seem to have seen him somewhere before.
Beckham is said to have been used to living in America.
Further practice: True or False
to have kept
1. I am sorry to keep you waiting so long.
2. They happened to talk about a secret when I came in.
3. I didn’t expect you to work like that—five hours
without a break.
4. Putin is likely to be the next prime minister of Russia.
5. The beggar is found to be dead.
6. They seemed to have known each other for a long time.
to be talking about
to be working
to have been dead
be said; fail
1. The little boy appears to be ashamed.
2. He is said to have failed in the exam again.
3.Mom seems to be criticizing her son severely.
The Passive Voice
It’s necessary for people __________(improve) the city environment.
to be improved
It’s necessary for the city environment ____________
(improve) by people.
2)to have done to have been done
The customer wants ______ another pair of shoes.
He seems _____________all the other pairs of shoes.
to have tried
to have been tried
All the other pairs of shoes seem_____________________ by him.
to ask, to consider,to well receive,
to use，to discuss,
It is an honour for me _________________ to give a lecture here.
The subject _______________ today is something about body language.
If you want your speech________________, you need to deliver it in the right manner.
A speech without gestures is likely ____________dull.
In addition, eye contact is a very important aid __________ in speech.
to be asked
to be discussed
to be well received
to be considered
to be used
Use different forms of the infinitive to describe the picture.
1) You appeared ______ (read)while you were supposed to make a speech.
2) A burning cigarette is said ___________________(cause) the forest fire.
3) Dick feels it an honor ________(invite) the research.
4) The project of planting trees is believed ________________(carry out) already.
5) The visitors are not allowed __________in the museum. (photograph)
2. Translate the sentences by using the infinitive.