Girish Kumar Beeharry Mauritius Radio Telescope. An African Low Frequency E-vlbi. Outline. · Preamble · Proposed Instrument · Station outline · Science · Technology · SWOT analysis · Cost & funding · Cooperation mechanism · Comments. Preamble.
Mauritius Radio Telescope
An African Low Frequency E-vlbi
- Countries thrived/thrive/(will thrive?) on their natural resources.
-It is now time to gear up to new science and
technology based avenues which can, without being exceedingly vatic, induce bootstrapped development.
-However, the prevalent attitude has bee/is to purchase first world technology which is customarily understood atend-user level but, sadly, not at that of research and development.
-Another important issue is that of regional integration. Whilst, trade and industry are being promoted, there is a paucity of areas of cooperation in science and technology.
-Additionally, there is ample scope for bolstering higher education ventures.
- Promising science and technology fields are can be made to be at par with the other ones, provided there is sufficient federative and cohesive ground.
=One such potential field is now adumbrated.
-A sensitive high resolution multi-frequency dual polarity
instrument in the range 30 to 800 MHz using multiple stations of low-cost dipoles, such as log-periodic antennas.
- Baselines will range from a few metres, in one station, to some 250-500-1000-3000-5000 km-ish for the whole instrument.
- The instrument & each station is modular in nature
- A station will be able to function in its own right
- Subsets of the whole instrument could also be used..
- The desired final technical specifications of the whole
instrument are a function of the number of participants.
-The tentative technical specifications station and whole instrument are now examined.
- Each station is planned for observations on its own.
- Sufficient sensitivity and resolution built in.
- The front-end & the back-end should be integrated with the
data acquisition locally.
- The data pipeline should also cater for intra-station as well
as inter-station correlation.
-Local hub managing system which will be
synchronised, by the central hub, with other stations.
- Near real time Very Long Baseline Interferometry(VLBI)
- Data Management
- High Capacity Correlation
- Digital Data Processing
- Antenna design
- Receiver system design
- Data acquisition system design
- Radio Frequency(RF) Electronics
- Digital Subscriber Line(DSL) Communications
- Extremely Wide Field Imaging
- Issues of Non-coplanarity
- Analysis Algorithms for Radio Maps
- Solar: flares, coronal mass ejections
- The Galaxy and the galactic centre star forming regions
- Galaxies and clusters of galaxies,
- Supernova Remnants
- Transient sources
- Spectral and recombination line observations
- Study of spectral indices of sources
- Interstellar scintillation: lower end of spectrum
- Jupiter: lower end of spectrum
- Ionospheric and Space Weather
- Geodesy and Cartography
- South Africa: >GHz, dish technology, strong engineering, AIPS, imaging, lines.
- Mauritius: < GHz, antenna technology, non-coplanar
phased array, extremely wide field imaging.
- Nigeria: Dish
- Regions with relatively low noise
- As most of radio telescopes are concentrated in the Northern hemisphere, there have been very few (<1GHz) radio sky surveys in the South
- Flux at low frequency
- No multi-frequency simultaneous survey; much of the
interesting and important information is missing.
- Too much talking, not enough action
- Science & Technology
- Region can really use S&T to address the weaknesses
- Greater regional integration in S&T : SA has shown the way
- S&T Industry initiation in other African countries
- Lack of human resources
- Lack of funding
- Engineering & Technology Industry deficit
Tentative Approximate Cost per station::
- Equipment & cabling: ~300,000 USD
- Building & access: ~ 200,000 USD
Funding is VERY IMPORTANT::
- Telecom industry
- EU-SADC, EU-ACP, US etc
- Easiest for project but most difficult to achieve in real life is an inter-governmental multilateral Memorandum of Understanding
- Bi-lateral at country's research apex body level
- University & Research institutional level
- Departmental & individual level