Key Issue #2 Why is English Related to other Languages?. By, Olivia Mulhern. English is a part of the Indo-European language family. A Language Family is a collection of languages related through a common common ancestor that existed long before recorded history.
Key Issue #2Why is English Related to other Languages?
By, Olivia Mulhern
1. Indo-Iranian (South Asia).
2. Romance (South Western Europe, & Latin America).
3. Germanic (North Western Europe, & North America).
4. Balto-Slavic (Eastern Europe).
Branch #s 1-4 are must used.
Branch #s 5-8 are less used.
- The Germanic Language branch also includes North Germanic
Languages, spoken in Scandinavia.
Those languages include:
- All of those 4 languages derived from Old Norse in A.D 1000. All four of these languages emerged after that time because of migration.
Both Groups were forced to learn English as their 2nd Language.
Anatolia Westward to Greece (Greek Language Branch) Westward to Italy, Sicily, Corsica, the Mediterranean coast of France, Spain, & Portugal (Romance Branch) Northward toward central & Northern France & onto the British Isles (Celtic Branch).