FORCE AND MOTION. 1. Earth and everything on it are affected by FORCES . 2. A force is a PUSH OR A PULL that causes an object to move, STOP , change direction, SPEED up, or slow down. It is measured in units called NEWTONS (N) after Sir Isaac Newton.
2. A force is a PUSH OR A PULL that causes an object to move, STOP, change direction, SPEED up, or slow down. It is measured in units called NEWTONS (N) after Sir Isaac Newton.
Look closely at each picture. What would you do with it: push or pull?
Drag it behind the green box in which it belongs (but make sure some of the picture sticks out!). Check your answers on the next page.
3. There are three forces on Earth every day that affect motion: friction, MAGNETISM, and gravity.
What force is present in this picture: a push or a pull? motion: friction,
In which direction will the object move? Which object will move and why?
Video: Friction 3:09
Frictional_Forces_4.ppt motion: friction,
What do the top arrows in each picture represent? motion: friction,
What do the bottom arrows represent?
In the top picture, which block will move faster and why?
In the bottom picture, which block will move faster and why?
Where is the force of magnetism the greatest in this picture and how do you know?
Video: What is Gravity 1:23
Video: Intro to Forces and Gravity 3:15
Gravitational_Force_3.ppt and how do you know?
graph... and how do you know?
This means that, wherever you are in the world, "down" is always towards the ground - even though your "down" isn't the same direction as anybody else's.
Which force(s) do you see present in this picture? and how do you know?
video: Laws of Motion 17:28
1. What do the arrows represent in this picture? determine an object’s
2. What part of the map shows you direction?
3. What direction is the car on the left traveling? On the right?
4. What do the squares represent on this map?
In what direction would you be traveling on a trip from Chicago to St. Louis? How would you know?
Which city is the greatest distance from Chicago?
What direction would you be traveling if you left Chicago for Des Moines?
The forces on this pinata are balanced, because it it hanging still.
12. Rate if motion is the speed of an object or how fast or slow the object is moving.
13. An object's motion can be affected by a change in FORCE or a change in MASS.
Video: Laws of Motion 17:28
04 Newton, Way Long Ago.wma and on
Mass and Weight video 2:07
Rate_of_motion_7.ppt and on
intro to site and on
Speed has stopped increasing?
Move the box to check your answer(Drag the box from the far left).
Speed has stopped increasing