Molecular Formula. What is it?. Simplest formula just shows a ratio of atoms in a substance Simplest formula may or may not be the true molecular formula If you know the true mass of a substance, you can determine if the simplest formula is the molecular formula. Example 1.
1) What is the molecular formula of a compound having a simplest formula of CH and a mass of 78.110 g/mole?
2) A compound consisting of 85.64% C and 14.36% H is found to have a mass of 42.08 g/mole. What is it’s molecular formula?
3) If 4.04 g of N combines with 11.46 g O to produce a compound with a mass of 108.0 g/mole, what is it’s molecular formula?
4) The mass of a compound is 92 g/mole. Analysis shows the compound contains .606 g N and 1.39 g O. What is it’s molecular formula?
5) A compound is found to contain 63.52% iron and 36.48% sulfur. If it’s mass is 175.826 g/mole, what is it’s molecular formula?