The Hero’s Journey. The Structure of an Epic Tale. Epic -a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero in which a series of great obstacles and majestic achievements occur. Myth - a story that explains an unexplainable event.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The Structure of an Epic Tale
Epic -along poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero in which a series of great obstacles and majestic achievements occur.
a story that explains an unexplainable event.
GREEK VALUES/ THEMES
1. *cunning over strength
3. *respect for the gods
4. *spiritual development (“know thyself”)
5. *youth and beauty
6. *rhetorical abilities (admiration for those who speak well)
1. An epic hero is superhuman. He is braver, stronger, smarter, and cleverer than an ordinary person is.
2. The epic hero is on a quest for something of great value to him or his people.
3. The epic hero fights monsters. The villains that try to keep the hero from his quest are usually uglier, more evil, and more cunning than anyone we know in ordinary life.
4. The epic hero is often of mixed divine and human birth and so possesses human weaknesses.
5. The divine world (the gods) interferes with the human world.
6. The epic hero returns home significantly transformed by his journey.
7. In his journey, the epic hero covers great geographical distances and even visits the underworld, other worlds, and/ or other times.
The setting of an epic is usually vast in scale.
Often, the hero refuses to answer the call,
or is reluctant to do so.
Night or Sea Journey
Hero descends into a hell-like area (land of the dead?). His return is like returning from the dead. Symbolically goes where normal humans can’t and finds truth about self.
The hero may just die symbolically or people may think he’s dead for a while.
Sometimes the hero steals or receives something that benefits humans, such as fire, an elixir of long life, or a bride.