DWP Change Programme. National Association of Welfare Rights Advisers – Rotherham Stephen Holt – DWP Director of Change Management 5 December 2008 . Final. The vision of the Department.
DWP Change Programme
National Association of Welfare Rights Advisers – Rotherham
Stephen Holt – DWP Director of Change Management
5 December 2008
We want to transform the quality
of customer service …
…while driving up the efficiency
of our delivery
… each of which reinforces and enables the other
Structures products/services around customer needs - accessible, efficient and based on customer insight
customer data safe.
who wish to use them.
“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning”.
e.g. self-service - integrating DWP customer and private sector data, segmenting customers based on potential to use self service channels.
- consistent customer greeting; and
- consistent “in-queue” and termination messages (from early 2009)
Reducing the level of official error through a combination of:
- more efficient processes (often with less steps) – improved accuracy so more customers get the right decision first time;
- online facility, via Directgov, for customers to track their claims and check entitlement (from 2009);
- improved management of data – reducing the number of times data is captured twice and improvements to how changes of circumstances are captured.
What happens when a customer reports a change…..today
Difficult Customer Experiences whenever they report a change
Example over 10 million wasted contacts per year for 3 changes (address, method of payment and bereavement)
1st line contact don’t gather all information, particularly when the customer gets more than one benefit
Forms and Calls are made to customer to request further information. Often several times per change
What happens when a customer reports a change…..in 2009
Once and Done Customer Service
Stage 1 - Information Capture Toolby end April 09
(Wrexham Pilot – most changes
processed on date of receipt)
Stage 2 - Single Customer Viewfor Enquiries October 09for Changes 2010
- from the end of 2009 – 700,000 customers every year will be able to claim their State Pension online if they wish to do so;
- working with CABs in Blackpool & Hertsmere to evaluate an enhanced online better off calculator and comparison tool;
Benefits Adviser Service:
- launched October 2008 - advice on 28 benefits and credits (previously 11), how to make a benefit claim, links to online Jobsearch and State Pension forecast;
- roll out by end May 2009.