A SDSU Extension program to serve & grow the sheep industry in South Dakota. sheepSD Update. Presenters:Dave Ollila – SDSU Extension Sheep Field Specialist John Erk – sheepSD participant. sheepSD Objectives : 1. Help sheep ranchers enter & expand into the sheep industry.
A SDSU Extension program to serve & grow the sheep industry in South Dakota
Presenters:Dave Ollila – SDSU Extension Sheep Field Specialist
John Erk – sheepSD participant
1. Help sheep ranchers enter & expand into the sheep industry.
Of the original 17 participants
12 are expanding significantly
4–adding 50 + ewes each
8-adding 200+ ewes each
2/17 are maintaining numbers
3/17 are declining or out of the program
Growing South Dakota Sheep producers – 42 members participating.
2. Provide mentors for beginning sheep ranchers
- 9/17 participants have established an active mentor relationship.
- 1 has participated in a farm transition.
3. Develop production & management skills.
a. wool classing/sheep shearing schools
b. Ewe nutrition and reproduction management
c. Drought management plans
d. Wool production and quality considerations
e. Attended WERA Sheep Symposium
f. NSIP and developing EBVs
4. Establish perpetual learning communities of sheep producers that will continue to seek knowledge and skills toward becoming successful producers and provide leadership in the industry.
Sheep Field Specialist
RC Regional Center
1530 Samco Rd.
Rapid City, SD 57702