Michael Cooper, West Virginia University. Software Licensing How good is your SAM ? are you prepared for a Software Audit?. West Virginia University. Public, land-grant institution, founded in 1867. Located in Morgantown, West Virginia
Software asset management(SAM) is a process
“…all of the infrastructure and processes necessary for the effective management, control and protection of the software assets…throughout all stages of their lifecycle.”
1. ISACA audit program ‘Software Licensing’ www.isaca.org
2. COBIT 5:
a) APO10.02 Select suppliers
b) BAI03.04 Procure solution components
c) BAI09.05 Manage licenses
3. TechRepublic’s Software license compliance in 6 easy steps:
4. Business Software Alliance http://www.bsa.org/country.aspx?sc_lang=en
5. Business Software Alliance: Software Audit Tools
6. Business Software Alliance: Government Guide for Software Management
7. eHow’s Prepare for Software Licensing Audit:
8. Sassafras KeyServer
Have you been Audited?
How does your institution track software?
How many resources are deployed for SAM?
What are your “Lessons learned” regarding SAM?
Is your Institution using cloud services?
Are you satisfied?
Is SAM in your future?
Have you used Engagement Services such as SoftAID or CDW?
How are your resellers helping you with SAM?
Does your Internal Audit office understand the risks?
Are all your Software agreements reviewed by General Counsel?