____________________________________________________________________________ DKMS AMERICAS _________________________________________________________ Bone Marrow Donor Registration Training. ____________________________________________________________________________ DKMS INTRODUCTION
Bone Marrow Donor Registration
The DKMS mission is to save lives by recruiting bone marrow donors for leukemia patients. More than 18,000DKMS donors have helped save lives by donating their bone marrow. DKMS is the largest and most experienced bone marrow donor center in the world with close to 2 million registered donors.
DKMS was founded in 1991 by Peter Harf and his wife's physician, Prof. Dr. Gerhard Ehninger. Their goal was simple: to build a bone marrow donor center to help other
leukemia patients around the world find their life-saving match.
In 2004, Katharina Harf and her father founded DKMS Americas in memory of her mother, Mechtild, opening an office in New York City to diversify the donor pool.
DKMS Americas has registered over 100,000 donors in the U.S., which allowed more than 100 patients to receive a life-saving transplant.
BONE MARROW DONORS
a bone marrow transplant.
such as leukemia or lymphoma.
minutes, blood cancer takes a precious life.
Many could be saved by a bone marrow transplant
HOW TO REGISTER BONE MARROW DONORS
1. Ask the donor if they have already registered as a bone marrow donor
birthday, and can be matched withanypatient in need.Not just one specific person.
3. Have the donor review the eligibility criteria. (Sign 1) Ask the donor if he has a medical
condition that is not listed. If he does, then please refer to the assessment tool that will
be sent to you with the shipment of donor drive supplies.
4. Have donor review the height and weight guidelines (Sign 2)
5. Have the donor read about the donation process (Sign 3). This is VERY important.
they are comfortable with either procedure as the patient’s doctor determines the
method of donation
sign-up on-line at www.dkmsamericas.org/marrow-donor-form
1. After the donor has confirmed that he meets the eligibility requirements, knows about the two ways to donate and understands their commitment, proceed with filling out the registration form with the donor (write clearly)
2. All fields are required except for: Social Security Number, Driver’s License and
Employer information, however, the SS# is extremely helpful in locating the donor
quickly. All information collected is confidential.
3. At least two telephone numbers and one non-academic e-mail address must be recorded
4. The contact person should be someone who DOES NOT live with the donor, but will know where they are in future years
5. We cannot register donors with missing information or a missing signature
6. Please ensure that the donor signs and dates the form. You or another volunteer will sign as the witness
SAMPLE – Completed Registration Form____________________________________________________________________________
- Working with other local business and ask if they would be willing to give a
portion of the days sales
- Send letter to local business asking for a donation to support the drive (DKMS
can provide you with this)
- Hold a silent auction, raffle, etc.
Thank you for joining DKMS in the fight against leukemia.
Together we can help make a difference.