Do Now: How does your heart rate change? Why would your heart rate change as you sleep, walk to class, ride a roller coaster, run a marathon?. Aim # : The C ardiovascular System. The cardiovascular system. Cardio means heart Vascular means vessel Includes your heart, blood, vessels.
Do Now: How does your heart rate change? Why would your heart rate change as you sleep, walk to class, ride a roller coaster, run a marathon?
Aim # : The Cardiovascular System
What happens during a heart beat?
Why does your heart beat?
Where does the exchange occur?
1. Blood, high in carbon dioxide and low in oxygen, returns from the body to the heart. It enters the right atrium through the vena cava.
2. The right atrium contacts, forcing the blood into the right ventricle.
3. When the right ventricle contracts, the blood leaves the heart and goes through the pulmonary artery to the lungs. Here carbon dioxide diffuses out of the blood and oxygen diffuses into the blood.
4. Oxygen rich blood travels through the pulmonary vein and into the left atrium. The pulmonary veins are the only veins to carry oxygen rich blood.
5. The left atrium contracts and forces the blood into the left ventricle.
6.The left ventricle contracts, forcing the blood out of the heart and into the aorta.
into and stale air moves out of lungs
Path of Air
Nose has cilia hairs or
mucus to trap dust and
back of mouth
*flap that stops food from entering airway
4) Larynx (voice box)
*flexible bands of tissue-
*the bands vibrate when we speak, sing or whisper.
*tube through which air travels toward lungs
12 cm long,
*C-shaped rings of cartilage
*2 short branches at end of trachea
*Each bronchi extends to a lung
*bronchi branch into smaller and smaller tubes called bronchioles
Gas exchange occurs through diffusion
Bloodis a tissue