AEROTROPOLIS AFRICA. AEROTROPOLIS AFRICA. PROJECT DESCRIPTION. • Unblock private sector investment • Convene, align and mobilize stakeholders • Establish catalyst Govt. 1-Stop. MARKET-BASED POVERTY SOLUTIONS. • Focus global commerce initiatives on poverty reduction • Key is:
• Unblock private sector investment
• Convene, align and mobilize stakeholders
• Establish catalyst Govt. 1-Stop
• Focus global commerce initiatives on poverty reduction
• Key is:
- Simpler & cheaper products
- Access to global markets
- Cargo & distribution
- Collaboration to form non- traditional partnerships!
“Global airports are driving business location and industrial development in the 21st century. International airports have become key nodes for time critical manufacturing, distribution and business services. These are the new engines of economic development attracting air-commerce linked corporations.”
• ”Raw” flowers in via Schiphol
- World’s biggest flower market
- 20 mins to Flora Holland
- Land in USA 24 hrs later
- 58 Bn Euros p.a.
- 1,400 Global companies
- 76,000 Agriculture businesses
Africa’s most expensive infra-structure components converge
• O.R.Tambo International Airport.
• Gautrain & Prasa Metro Rail
• Major highways.
• 17,5 million m2 existing industrial.
(Isando, Jet Park, Spartan).
OR Tambo Airport
Criteria for an Aerotropolis
Major international airport
Land for industrial use
High-speed rail link
Local rail link
City core (Exhibit, hotels offices, etc)
RHODESFIELD COMPARATIVE ANALYISIS
OR Tambo Area
• Africa’s most logical Airport City
- International Trade Centre
- Aggregate trade & govt. support
- “Silicon Valley” for:
• Global Trade Centre
• Africa’s biggest exhibition zone
• Government support zone: “1 stop” service
Relevance to global commerce
Identify most sustainable global competitive advantage
market failure &
Create efficient global