Boycott Wal-Mart. By Melanie George. * Wal-Mart is a corporation that hauls off a stunning $220 Billion a year from its customers, resulting in a net profit of over 7 billion dollars a year for the company (Hightower 1).
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
By Melanie George
* Wal-Mart is a corporation that hauls off a stunning $220 Billion a year from its customers, resulting in a net profit of over 7 billion dollars a year for the company (Hightower 1).
the stores that didn't survive were Pamida, Coast to Coast, Tradehome Shoes, Patricia's Fashion Fabrics, and Schultz's Family Department Store (Kenneth R. Sheets ).
Wal-Mart imports 15 billion dollars worth of goods from China every year.
- extreme amounts of pressure
on their suppliers to lower the cost
of their goods.
- driving those suppliers offshore in
their efforts to lower the costs of
production" (David Pinto).
-Wal-Mart is lowering the standards in China
-Factory workers only making 13 cents an hour
-Factory workers work in unjust quarters
* Wal-Mart pays its associates poverty-level wages.
* the average full-time Wal-Mart associate makes an annual wage of $11,000
Hightower, Jim. “Boycott Wal-Mart.” 5 Aug 2002.
The Independent Weekly. 4 Nov 2008. http://www.indyweek.com/durham/2002-05-08/news.html.
Pinto, David. “It’s time to revive ‘Buy American’.(Opinion). MMR 23 Aug. 2004: 1+.
"A Return to the Local: You Stay Home Too." World Watch Sept. 2008: 29.