Introduction to Development Studies. THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF ZANZIBAR (SUZA). What is a development Studies. R esearch field examining problems in the developing countries C omparative focus on international development of human societies
THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF ZANZIBAR
The objective of this course is:-
Theories of social development
Social and Political Development in Africa
We evaluate that certain social, economic and political conditions and systems are more developed than others.
“This is the moment when we must build on the wealth that open markets have created, and share its benefits more equitably. Trade has been a cornerstone of our growth and global development. But we will not be able to sustain this growth if it favours the few, and not the many”Barack Obama
Development refers both to the ends of social change and to the means employed to reach these: to the vision of a better life. Development poses value conﬂicts in four respects:
● Debates over goals: economic growth, meeting basic needs, cultural survival, ecological balance, power transfers;
● competing political systems.
● Contending economic systems: rival claims on resources and diﬀering rules of access to resources
● Conﬂicts between modernity and tradition.
As an object of knowledge – Theories about development as a process and a project
As a process – Patterns of change in the global political economy of capitalism
As a project – Policies and strategies that seek to give shape to and control processes of social change
1. indicators and symbols of development
2. causal relationships, rules and methods constituting knowledge
3. historical context
4. political agenda-setting (idiologies/phylosophy)
- physical abilites, illnesses,doctor