Why are blood cultures taken?. To CONFIRM or RULE OUT diagnosis ofSEPSIS. Sepsis.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Blood Cultures Catherine Price, BSc, LIBMS
Royal Gwent Hospital
2. Why are blood cultures taken? To CONFIRM or RULE OUT diagnosis of
3. Sepsis “Septicaemia” or “Blood poisoning”
Life threatening condition
4. SIRS + presence of multiplying bacteria / yeast in blood
Diagnosis of Sepsis
5. Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS) Acute inflammation throughout entire body
2 or more of the following symptoms:
Body temperature: <36ºC (97ºF) or >38ºC (100ºF) (chills or fever)
WBC count: <4 x 109 cells/L or >12 x 109 cells/L
Rapid heart beat: >90 beats per minute
Rapid breathing rate: >20 breaths per minute
6. Sepsis SIRS and presence of multiplying bacteria /yeast in bloodstream Nutrients consumed Oxygen used up Toxins released - tissue damage, organ failure, septic shock Patient will develop: chills, fever, decreased urine output, confusion, low blood pressure, collapse