Home Energy Monitoring "The more you know the more you save". Robert Crowell Andrew Darmody Luke Fritts Josh Kamdjou. What's the Problem?. Average single family home electricity usage in 2010: 940 kWh/month @ .12$/kWh = $112.00/month x 12 = 1,350.00$ per year
Average single family home electricity usage in 2010:
940 kWh/month @ .12$/kWh = $112.00/month x 12 =
1,350.00$ per year
Source: Energy Information Administration eia.gov
-Total energy usage read once per month.
-Electric bill = yawn
Image Courtesy Nstar.com
Why did my usage spike this month?
Who is using all this energy?
What can I do to fix this!?
- A "total" home monitoring system that aims to provide a user with complete control of home.
- Accessible through personal website or mobile application.
- A user can monitor their electricity usage for the entire house (through existing meter) or attach individual sensors to high load appliances.
- Doesn't always give the user a clear understanding of where their energy is being used.
- Usage isn't always calculated in dollars, no incentive to lower consumption!
- Verizon visualizes home energy usage to the through the use of many graphs, charts, and technical jargon.
INFORMATION OVERLOAD! where their energy is being used.
Questions? where their energy is being used.