EPRA MEETING JUNE 2004 WORKING GROUP 2 REGULATION OF RADIO TOPIC: LOCALNESS, LICENSING AND DIGITALISATION. STATUTORY REQUIREMENTS 1988 Act - News and Current Affairs 20% of Broadcasting Time 2 hours 7am – 7pm CONTRACTUAL PROVISIONS Programme Schedule Programme Policy Statement.
WORKING GROUP 2
REGULATION OF RADIO
TOPIC: LOCALNESS, LICENSING AND DIGITALISATION
1988 Act - News and Current Affairs
20% of Broadcasting Time
2 hours 7am – 7pm
Programme Policy Statement
Commercial Radio Services
BCI Ownership and Control Policy 2001
-Local ownership no longer a requirement
- Programming and management deliver local ethos.
Community Radio Services - Policy 1997
- Owned and controlled by local community
- Programming by the community which meets communication needs of the community.
Radio 1- Speech/News based 25+ (PBS)
2 FM - Music based 15 + (PBS)
Lyric FM - Classical Music and Arts (PBS)
R na G - Irish language (PBS)
Today FM - Music based 25 + (private)
Adult Population (15+) under 200,000
- 16 local broad-format services
Adult Population (15+) over 200,000
- Cork (356,000): 2 music-based
- Dublin (921,000): 5 music-based
2 more expected
Pilot regional service (334,000 15+) - youth
-Community of Interest
-Five more expected this year.
Listenership - reach 86% (adults) 2003
All radio services €97m
PBS radio €30m
Private radio €67m
Community - Turnover €1.25m
- Does management team have relevant broadcasting and business expertise
- Does it include sufficient personnel with necessary experience, expertise and knowledge of specified local area
- Is the quality, range and type of programming in the schedule appropriate to listeners in specified local area.
- Does Programme Policy Statement reflect sufficient commitment to (a) serving local community (b) new opportunities for Irish talent etc (c ) Irish culture and language
Ownership and Management
- Owned by non-profit community organisation
- Membership and management by the members of the community served
- clear definition of community served is important
- primarily by members of the community served
- should reflect the interests and needs of community served
- should add to diversity or programming available to community
- should facilitate and support community access
Broadcasting Philosophy and target audience/community served
Total Number of Broadcasting hours - automation
Special Interest Speech
Irish Language and Promotion of Irish Talent
Seven day indicative schedule
Reflect the commitments in the Programme Policy Statement in 7am-7pm and over the total broadcast day.
Allows flexibility in relation to individual presenters, and some format and content issues
Allows some seasonal flexibility.
- Planning underway currently - policy expected in 2006.
- Implementation from 2007 onwards - coincide with expiry of national commercial radio franchise
- DAB and DRM being considered.
- National DAB platform for PBS envisaged
- Two possible DAB plans for commercial services under consideration
- National DAB platform for up to five national channels - possible mix of commercial and non-commercial
- Local services on local multiplex - based on existing county/dual county model
- Greater possibility for overlap
- Local services on local multiplex - based on existing county/dual county model.
- National service/s carried as channel/s on local multiplexes across the country.