Annual Meeting of the African Science Academy Development Initiative (ASADI) Science Academies as Partners for Improving the Impacts of Policies in Africa, 4-5 November, 2008 Science Academies: Process and Values of Academy Work VIRTUES OF ACADEMY ADVICE. David A. Mbah Executive Secretary
Annual Meeting of the African Science Academy Development Initiative (ASADI)Science Academies as Partners for Improving the Impacts of Policies in Africa, 4-5 November, 2008Science Academies: Process and Values of Academy WorkVIRTUES OF ACADEMY ADVICE
David A. Mbah
Cameroon Academy of Sciences
- objectivity, and
(ii) Design Initiative (ASADI) of the study within the niche of the Academy.
(iii) Quality and diversity of experts involved in the study. Typically experts on the study committee represent:
- national and international mix,
- gender sensitivity,
- expertise (qualification, experience),
- absence of conflict of interest.
(iv) Process of delivery: Initiative (ASADI)
- study/report committee,
- study/report review (team of reviewers that includes national and international experts, speakers and non speakers of study, gender, overviewer), and
- consensus study/report.
(v) Level of public confidence and acceptance that the advisory study can command.
2) From this foundation, academy advice differs from that of advisory bodies such as universities, research institutes, interministerial committees, teams of consultants, etc, by:
- the composition of committees is not determined by merit and expertise but by position/political affiliation which at times, may be of very low level,
- participants, at times, tend to defend positions of ministries they represent rather than the facts as revealed b evidence,
- report not always a result of rigorous process:
* committee composition based on a set of criteria,
* review and overview of report, and
* absence of independence.
Minister for Higher Education, Special Adviser to the PM/HG, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Scientific Research and Innovation, President of the Academy at CAS-TWAS Prize Award Ceremony and Induction of new fellows. MINESUP promised to sign a protocol of collaboration with CAS. A draft protocol has been sent for study