Southwest MN Christian High School. Challenging Students to Grow in Knowing, Loving, and Serving God and Others. Purpose. School Improvement: Improve what we do Transform God’s world, cultural mandate Christian Grade School Visits: Communication Feedback Information Improve what we do.
Challenging Students to Grow in Knowing, Loving, and Serving God and Others.
1. To renew and improve the direction, commitment, and passion for Christian education in general, Christian grade schools, and Southwest Christian
2. To change the way we do some things, from the inside out; “retool in recession,” “if we were to start a Christian high school in Edgerton, we would…”
3. Consider All Things:
a. Mission, Philosophy: staying committed to the present mission and purpose of the school
d. Education, students – post-high school prep
e. Community input: parents, supporters
f. Co-curriculars: athletics, music, drama
g. Other areas?
i. Visiting other model schools
ii. Visiting with study groups – parents, students, college professors, alumni, potential parents, church leaders, staff, others
iv. Considering the three components of the needed change:
- increasing enrollment
- financial stability
- improved academic model; student focused
The Specific Solutions to Facilitate Change:
1. Darrel Ulferts’ Vice-principal job expanded to most student needs and supervision
2. Paul Bootsma’s principal job description changed
A. Vision and Planning
C. Recruiting students
D. Contacting 4 supporting elementary schools and churches
E. Reporting to the board
F. Supervising staff
3. Denise DeKam’s Office/Business Manager change
A. School Finances – similar to present situation
B. Fundraising information database, record keeping
C. Recruiting information
D. Event planning: Pumpkin Festival, Donation Sale, etc
Three Improvement Efforts
Asking questions, seeking direction, keeping the vision, following the mission
1. Maintain core mission, focus, philosophy
2. Pursue financial stability allowing for affordable tuition for families in the area
3. Increase enrollment through work with Christian grade schools, area community promotions, and church relations
4. Reinvigorate the organization
5. Improved excellent, Christ-centered education
6. Improve Community Support causing a renewed excitement/passion/commitment for Christian education
What advice do you have?
What can Southwest do better?
What can we do together?