mandurah 28 9 2008
Skip this Video
Download Presentation
MANDURAH 28/9/2008

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 28

MANDURAH 28/9/2008 - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

  • Uploaded on

MANDURAH 28/9/2008. Another run by the ORSSC Power Boat Section Photos courtesy of Rachel and Steve, Robbo and Gay, Trevor and Tina, Dave and Pat. Many thanks for all your contributions. Morning tea’s over, time to join up with the rest of the mob. Yeah , we better come too.

I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about ' MANDURAH 28/9/2008' - sharis

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
mandurah 28 9 2008

MANDURAH 28/9/2008

Another run by the ORSSC Power Boat Section

Photos courtesy of Rachel and Steve, Robbo and Gay, Trevor and Tina, Dave and Pat.

Many thanks for all your contributions.

Zoey,Our new recruit on her maiden voyage with Mum and Dad. Imagine if she had a pocket on that shirt. It’d have to be on the back.
ORRSC Power Boat Section wake up the canal residents of Mandurah. Line up of boats astern and more around the corner.
And the boats ahead, the weather doesn’t look too flash, although looking at the skies we may get a few flashes from the heavens.
Zoey takes Mum and Dad on a boating trip. Great to see the family on the water, after a long absence from our boating activities.
The Lunchtime raft up at Dawesville, laid back as pictured. The Delis on Robbo and Gay’s and Ron and Dora’s boats have closed temporarily
Coffee time at Mariner’s Cove. They are going to have extend their jetty and put on more staff to accommodate us next trip.
  • The Mob from ORSSC Power Boat Section took off on what is becoming the annual trip to Mandurah. In 2006 we had three boats; 2007, 4 boats and this year 2008, 13 boats joined in the trip.
  • Our Cruise Captain’s Peter and Ros were a little intimidated by the thought of having to escort the initial 17 boats later reduced to 13 boats around Mandurah. Whilst there is plenty of water, the problem was that boat parking accommodation around Mandurah is limited to possibly 4 or 5 boats, except the park area opposite the town site.
  • The conditions were similar to last year with a heavy shower of rain just as we were getting the boat ready to leave and grey skies and showers were experienced on the road trip down. Due to the numbers of boats the party was split with some members who were staying in the town for the weekend launching earlier and the day trippers launching at the Dudley Park ramp and the Town ramp adjacent to MOSFC.
  • We launched at the latter ramp, where R/C Terry arranged whilst launching his boat to nearly cut off one of Linda’s fingers, possibly to stop her from throwing things overboard off their new boat, Lintel. First aid was administered to a nasty cut or tear to Linda’s finger and she bravely participated in the day’s event. Look’s like Terry will be doing the washing up and housework for a while.
  • The various motors showed signs of a winter’s lay up and large volumes of smoke were emitted from several engines as they fired up.
  • Everyone launched and on board we motored around the corner to pick up the other boats which had launched earlier, and were at Nino’s, harbour, café .Then out to the main channel to join up with our Cruise Captain and his gaggle of boats.
  • The convoy of 13 boats then set off in line to wake up the residents in their Canal homes. We also took over the airwaves on Channel 96, as we sorted ourselves out.
We had a mysterious fella called Clive who had joined up with us for the first time, no one seemed to know him and we couldn’t identify him but he became quite a celebrity on the radio as we tried to track him down. Turns out he was in the boat in front of me.
  • Having woken all the residents up, we re entered the main channel and proceeded up to the Estuary. The 13 boats in line must have stretched close to a kilometre and would have been a peculiar sight. Actually a helicopter came down almost to water level and was passing us on both sides for several minutes.
  • The thought of escorting 13 boats up the Murray River was too much for Peter and we traveled across the Peel Inlet to Dawesville. The trip across was into some very threatening dark grey clouds with a fair bit of precipitation dropping down, but it blew to one side of us and we remained dry.
  • On the way my boat took it on itself to emulate “Herbie” and broke the convoy speed to do some maddies, but I was taking photos of the fleet. That’s my excuse and I didn’t pass the Cruise Captain, but came close.
  • Big Fella, Robbo couldn’t stand the convoy speed, any longer and opened up his throttle, with the excuse that he had to try out his motor, which had been giving him problems and Gay was also taking photos of the fleet.
  • At Dawesville everything came to a stop whilst a few boats entered the shallows to find a suitable place for lunch, the rest sort of parked out in the deeper water.
  • Eventually five boats who were staying at one of the Caravan Parks took off up the Murray River and their chatter could be heard over the radio for some time.
  • The other 8 boats entered the shallower water and five boats rafted up whilst the other 3 decided that it was a great time to have some quiet time and rest their eyes.
  • The weather straightened itself out and it was very relaxing sitting back in the sunshine, eating and drinking again with a just little talk and socialising between the boats, checking out each others craft.
Looking along the line of rafted up boats you could be excused for thinking you were in a well stocked Deli, the range of food set out and being devoured was impressive. We had our healthy salad rolls.
  • Young Zoey made her maiden voyage with Mum and Dad and seems to have got her sea legs and she has even picked up some bad habits from Linda and threw over the side two water bottles and a dummy, plus possibly other items not missed yet.
  • She must teach Aunty Linda that the correct action is; “turn to Terry and with palms up and say Gone”.
  • Trevor , Tina and Zoey who had done the right thing and had their motor serviced before the trip were having trouble with the engine and had to depart early to get back to the ramp on one cylinder. Phone contact was kept with them and they arrived safely.
  • Sometime later we reluctantly separated our boats, up anchored etc and started the trip home.
  • As we had missed out on the morning coffee we journeyed up to Mariner’s Cove Café and intimidated by our numbers the two boats already on the jetty, left, to let us take over completely both sides of the jetty, plus rafting up. Don and Sandra who had also had their motor serviced prior to the trip had their motor die as they came into the jetty and had to be towed off the rocks back to the jetty where they were berthed and with the helpful advice, comments from the bystanders, Don managed to get the motor going again, after some time and was able to return under his own steam.
  • Worthy of mention is that the mysterious Clive and Caroline rescued Don and Sandra but Caroline in throwing out the rescue line, didn’t know she had to retain one end. Sound’s like they will fit in nicely to the ORRSC traveling boating circus. To really cement their entry to the Section, Clive and Caroline’s boat just stopped, in excitement, during the rescue and Caroline fended their boat off the rocks with the trusty boat hook.
  • The sight of a number of people on the jetty and boats, armed with a multitude of boat hooks, all attempting to bring Don and Sandra in must have raised a giggle to observers.
  • We seem to have quite an array of boat hooks in the section, possibly to repel boarders. Those nasty grotties.
  • It was a good example of the benefits of boating in company.
Coffee, cake were enjoyed and more talk and about 4.30 we departed, as the shop was closing and we motored back to our respective launching areas to retrieve our boats and at the town ramp we had a little more talk and finally departed around 6.15pm
  • A very relaxing day in good company, which left some of the senior members of the group a little tired the next day. Too much fresh air.
  • Pat managed to stay dry and didn’t fall out of the boat; David managed to break Pat’s glasses in departing the boat and bump the boat again on berthing. Terry and Linda didn’t, sink or lose anything, although Linda tried to lose a finger.
  • A pretty uneventful day, by our standards. We all returned safely under our own steam, albeit “with a little help from our friends.”
  • Thanks very much to our Cruise Captain’s, Peter and Ros, for their efforts and thought put into making the day a success. Their knowledge of Cafés and shops on the water’s edge is impressive and they are kindly sharing their special places. Thanks also to Ron and Dora for taking up the tail end Charlie role all day.
  • We seem to have a good recipe for successful outings, boats, water, friendly, helpful folk, food, coffee and the occasional cafes.
  • A Great Day out on the Water
  • David, 30/9/2008.