U.S. Foreign Policy Is Like a…?. This activity challenges you to create two visual similes representing different perspectives on U.S. foreign policy at the turn of the twentieth century. You will then present these similes to the class. Essential Questions.
This activity challenges you to create two visual similes representing different perspectives on U.S. foreign policy at the turn of the twentieth century. You will then present these similes to the class.
What considerations should go into the development of foreign policy?
What responsibilities do people in power have to those people who have less power?
Did America’s emergence as a world power move it closer to or further from its founding ideals?
Foreign Policy Priorities
1. Assign each group member a role.
2. Read the handout that has information about U.S. foreign policy about your particular area of focus and hilight important information. Also consult your textbook for additional information.
3. From the handout, your textbook and other sources, write down the three (or more) most important facts students should know about America’s foreign policy in your country or region from each perspective. Include key terms about your country or region.
4. Using the facts above, brainstorm ideas for similes representing U.S. foreign policy on your country or region. One simile should represent U.S. foreign policy from the perspective of the United States, and one simile should represent the U.S. foreign policy from the perspective of a country or region.
5. On a piece of looseleaf paper, quickly create a rough draft of both visual similes. Include aspects that reflect the three facts for each side.
Return to directions
Return to directions
A good friend
A concerned parent
A business partner
A best friend
An older sibling
A company boss
A role model
A loan officer
A home builder
From the (location’s) Perspective
A bully on the playground
A dog taking orders
A helpless child
A police officer
An overbearing boss
A pirate stealing wealth
A prison guard
A credit card company collecting debtsCreating Similes