Lesson Two. Marrakech. Aims . To know the writing technique of exposition. To learn the methods in developing an expository writing, esp. the use of examples. To appreciate the language features . Teaching Contents. 1. Background information: Exposition ； George Orwell
1. Background information:
2. Detailed study of the text
3. Structure analysis /Organizational pattern
4. Language appreciation/ Language features
Description -- deals with appearances and feelings
Narration --- deals with events and experience
Exposition --- deals with processes and relationships
The key to a definition is concreteness. One has to give concrete facts to make a definition effective.
We must have enough number of items to be listed. Then, if possible, arrange the items in the graded order of increasing importance.
It\'s the simplest, the most common, best method.
We have to follow a system consistently. The categories of division should be mutually exclusive. There should be no overlapping. One item can belong to one category and only one.
We liken one thing to another by pointing out their similarities (comparison) We emphasize the difference between the two. (contrast)
We may discuss the cause and effect of a historical event, its nature and its significance in history.
The writer appeals to a reader‘s understanding with verifiable（能证实的）facts and valid information, explaining and interpreting that materials so that the reader will accept his point of view or explanation. Thus he must organize and develop his thought objectively and present it with honesty and completeness so that the reader will have confidence in what he is saying.
1. generally the writer makes a statement of the central thought or of his purpose quite early. This statement is sometimes called the “thesis”, and may even be the title of the piece.(beginning with thesis, then supporting it with facts)
2. Sometimes the writer may first present and develop his facts and make his general statement as a conclusion at the end.(beginning with facts, then coming to a conclusion)
It is an exposition, a political essay. Orwell[\'ɔ:wəl] leaves no doubt about his feelings concerning colonialism and its results. He has shown the reader how millions of people can be ignored and treated as less than human.
--- symbolic of freedom
1) the living conditions of the Jews 2) the hard work the Jews do 3) biased attitude against the Jews
1. simple words, simple statements to convey deeper meaning
2. the use of rhetorical questions which is very effective in conveying his anger
3. terse(精练的), lucid(明白易懂的) prose style.
4. good diction(措辞)