Unit 8 First aid. A first aid test. What should you do if you find a person who has stopped breathing? A. Run and find help. B: try to start his /her breathing. 2. What should you do if you find a person with a knife in his/her back? A: leave the knife in. B: Pull the knife out.
Unit 8 First aid
A first aid test
3. What should you do if you find a person whose leg is bleeding?
A: Tie a piece of cloth around the leg above the bleeding point.
B: press firmly on the bleeding point using a clean handkerchief.
4. What should you do if you find a person who has been hurt in a car accident?
A: leave him/her in the car.
B: Pull him/her out of the car.
5. What should you do if a person has drunk poison by mistake?
A: Make the person throw up.
B: Take the person and the poison container to a hospital at once.
Wounded Soldier Receiving First Aid From Comrade
Soldiers Train to Give Emergency (紧急情况) First Aid in Battlefield
A potholer (探坑的人）is given first aid for a scraped (擦伤) knee by the light of a torch (手电筒)
First Aid for Fallen Climber
Words & Phrases
1. scream v. give a long piercing cry of fear,pain or
n. loud shrill piercing cry or noise.
2. witness n. person who sees an event take place
vt. be present at
3. panic n. sudden irrational feeling of great fear
vti. cause a person or an animal to be
affected with panic ( panicked ,
4.ambulancen. car to carry sick or injured people
5.circulate vt. (cause sth to ) go round
6.keep in mindremember sb/sth
7.roll over(cause sth to ) move on wheels
Look at the table in the pre-reading.There are three outlines below.Which outline do you think is used in the passage ?
The second outline is used .
1.Why is first aid important in our daily life ?
Because seconds count in an emergency, and knowing what to do can mean the difference between life and death.
2.What’s the most important thing to remember when dealing with an emergency ?
To stay calm and not to be panic.
3.What do the hospitals recommend ?
They recommend that we use the letters DRABC to remember what to do when we have to think fast.
4. What do the letters “DR ABC” stand for ?
“D” stands for “Danger” ; “R” stands for “Response” ;
“A” stands for “Air-way” ; “B” stands for “Breathing” ; “C” stands for “circulation”.
5. What we should do when we have checked the D R A B C ?
We should give the first aid that is needed and call for an ambulance.
6. Can we do first aid correctly after reading this passage ?
No . This passage doesn’t contain enough information for us to do first aid correctly. We have to study with a teacher for a few hours.
listening and reading
Listen to the tape carefully. You may read after the tape. Pay attention to your intonation.
True or false
5. We should not try to revive a person unless we know how to do it.
6. How can we make the wounded person’s airway clear and make it easy to breathe? Here’re the steps :
1) Place the hand of the person’s upper arm under his or her chin.
2) Bend the person’s leg so that he or she will not roll over.
3) Roll the person onto one side. Keep the legs straight.
7. If you want to start a person’s breathing at once, mouth-to-mouth method is useless.
8.Local newspapers recommend that we use the letters DR ABC to remember what to do when we have to think fast
9. We can only get the knowledge of first aid by ourselves.
10.We just leave the person lying on the ground; we don’t need anything to cover him.
Filling the blanks
Knowing the _________of first aid is very important. If they knew more about first aid, they could help the people in trouble. Usually knowing what to do in an ___________means the difference between life and _____.
The most important thing to keep in mind is to stay ____.
Many hospitals ___________that we use the DR ABC to remember what to do when we have to think fast. D stands for danger ; R stands for response ; A stands for ________; B stands for breathing ; C stands for _________. If people are very interested in learning first aid, they can go to hospitals and schools for________.After giving first aid, we should put the person in the _________position before an___________comes.
analysing difficult sentences
What should you do in the following situation?
First , …
1. People who have witnessed an accident often wish that…(para. 1)
2. The most important thing to keep in mind when dealing with an emergency is to stay calm. (para. 2)
v. 目睹；为… 作证
e.g Did you witness the accident?
3.If we know how to respond, we can save lives. 如果我们知道如何应对，就可以拯救生命
She didn’t respond to my question.
1.Read the text again to find what you can’t understand.
2. Finish the exercises in English Weekly.