Organizations Involved. Avis-Goodwin Community Health CenterFrisbie Memorial HospitalWentworth Douglas HospitalThe Works Health and Fitness CenterYour VNAThe Homemakers of Strafford CountyDover Department of RecreationRochester Department of Recreation and Youth Services. Step Up
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. The Healthy Heart Task Force The Healthy Heart Task Force is a group of local organizations who work together to address the prevention of heart disease in the Dover and Rochester Communities.
2. Organizations Involved Avis-Goodwin Community Health Center
Frisbie Memorial Hospital
Wentworth Douglas Hospital
The Works Health and Fitness Center
The Homemakers of Strafford County
Dover Department of Recreation
Rochester Department of Recreation and Youth Services
3. Task Force Beginnings Started with $4,500.00 to work with from the Foundation for Healthy Communities.
Baseline data from a community survey.
Health professionals with a goal of helping their communities.
4. Project Goals Increase the number of residents who have had their cholesterol tested in the last 5 years.
Increase the number of residents who engage in regular physical activity.
6. Community Interventions – Cholesterol Awareness Cholesterol Screenings:
Designed to raise awareness of national cholesterol testing and treatment recommendations in middle-aged men and women.
Provided 3 screening events-
Home Depot/Rochester on 10/4/03
Hannaford Brothers/Dover on 2/24/04
Foster’s Daily Democrat/Dover on 3/23/04
7. Results: Home Depot
9. Results: Foster’s
10. Sedentary Lifestyle
Sedentary lifestyle: No leisure time activity within a two-week period.
Nearly 4 in 10 adults report no leisure time activity
1/3 > 65 Y.O. are sedentary
> 1/3 Young people grades 9-12 do not engage in regular physical activity
11. 30 minutes a day
10 minutes at a time
5 days per week
13. Walking Guide Downtown routes
Physical activity recommendations
Safe walking tips
16. Walking Intervention
19. Community Education Efforts (cont.) Community Briefing: April 16, 2004
Rotary Club presentations
Materials made available during cholesterol screenings, health fairs, for agency newsletters, etc.