FILM STUDIES CAREERS SESSION. Tim Reed [email protected] Careers Advisory Service www.kent.ac.uk/careers/. What is the Careers Advisory Service?. What do Film Studies graduates do?. The Careers Advisory Service. Location Staff Opening times etc Services & facilities.
What do Film Studies graduates do?
Reference Books on Film & Related
Careers Reference Files
Begin by doing some research
Perhaps into yourself (ideas, interests, preferences)
Then into your opportunities (use Directories, vacancy database)
Use IT: CAS website, Carousel & Prospects Planner
Attend talks/workshops/presentations etc
Quick Query at CAS
1:1 careers interview
Central & Local Gov’t
Ref: 4900309 Region: London Job Category: Programme Making Closing date for applications is 7 February 2009
This position is to form part of a talent pool within BBC Vision. For all the information about the Pool, please visit the specific microsite, www.bbc.co.uk/jobs/vip
To provide effective support as a Runner either in an Office or Production capacity.
1. To support the production team in the office and on location.
2. To undertake general office duties including collecting tapes and kit, logging material, photocopying, responding to correspondence, answering telephones, faxing and filing.
3. To make (and collect) local building deliveries (urgent mail/packages etc).
4. Providing hospitality for visitors / production team (tea/coffee making).
5. Act as a first point of contact for a range of both internal and external callers and visitors ensuring that these are given a positive image of the BBC and the department.
6. To share responsibility with others for ensuring that BBC Health & Safety policies are observed.
7. To deliver tapes to edit suites.
8. To provide admin support to the production team and to provide logistical assistance on location, in the studio or during post-production as required. Duties will vary depending on the nature of the output and will include: helping the Researchers on research projects; contributing to the development of ideas; and contributing fully at team and programme meetings.
9. To contribute to the safe, smooth and efficient running of the production office, referring any actual or potential problems to the Production Management Assistant, Production Co-ordinator, Production Manager, Production Executive or other production team members as appropriate.
Key Selection Criteria
1. Ability to use proficiently, a range of software packages including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
2. Interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to establish and maintain effective working relations with a wide range of internal and external contacts including crew and artists. Ability to express oneself concisely both orally and in writing.
3. Excellent telephone skills and the ability to manage editorial, management and other contacts with tact and sensitivity.
4. The ability and/or experience of gathering and presenting information.
5. Experience of independently drafting a range of documents including e-mails and letters.
6. Effective time management and organisational skills and the initiative to work both independently and as part of a team.
7. Ability to prioritise a conflicting workload efficiently and to maintain standards of accuracy and attention to detail when working to deadlines or changing priorities.
8. A flexible approach to changing priorities and requirements.
9. A demonstrable aptitude for detail and accuracy in all areas.
10. Resilience and stamina to sustain performance when under pressure from a high volume of work and conflicting priorities.
11. Ability to use own initiative with confidence, using judgement to refer up where necessary.
12. A knowledge, or ability to acquire it, of BBC Structures, Procedures and Policies.
13. An informed interest in TV production and programmes and in particular, Factual Programmes.
For more information about this role and to apply, please go to; https://jobs.bbc.co.uk/fe/tpl_bbc01.asp?newms=jj&id=26313
MEDIA - RELATED
Advertising Executive - IPC Media
Archive Researcher - Stills library
Assistant Producer – Sit Up TV
Commercials Assistant - ITV
Despatch Assistant – Telecine
Edit Assistant – Venue Production
Freelance Film Journalist
Journalist - Toplum Postasi
Junior Account Executive - PR Co
Junior Technician - Guerilla Productions (TV)
Photo shoot assistant - Imp Ltd
Production Assistant (x3) - Chapters Digital TV Ltd, Persistent Vision, Lipsync Post (TV)
Researcher - Spool Films
Runner (x9) - UFO Pictures, Celador, Panavision, Paw Films, Banana Split, Framestore, The Foundation, Editworks, Sky Sports News
Sales Manager - Channel One
Visual artist - self-employed
VT Operator trainee - Telecine
Bookseller - Dillons
Customer Services - Blockbuster Video
Management Trainee - Harrods
Sales assistant - Virgin Megastore Canada
Sales/specialist retail - Star Trek fan shop
Stockroom Manager - Next plc
Administrative assistant (x4) - National art collection fund, TV Licensing Authority, Canterbury Christ Church University, Thanet College
Arts Administrator - Helsinki Film Festival
Clerical (x3) - South Tees Health Authority, Publishing Company, Sun Alliance
Compliance Administrator - ITV plc
Export Sales Assistant - Blackwell Science Ltd
Finance Administration - Guild Film Distribution
Office Administrator - East Surrey Ambulance HQ
PA - Mell Wade Films Ltd
Receptionist - Film London
Receptionist (Media Dept) - Colchester Football Club
Secretarial (x2) - Ogilvy & Mather, Sight & Sound
Secretary - BBC
Assistant Language Teacher (Japan) - JET Scheme
EFL Teacher (x2) -China, Japan
English Teacher - Beijing University, China
Teacher (GTP) - Kent County Council
Learning Support Asst (x2) - St. Thomas’ Primary School, Cantebourne Primary
Lecturer - University of North London
Account Executive - Expedite group
Arts Worker – Round Midnight Ltd
Assistant fundholding manager – Doctors’ surgery
Box Office Asst (x2) - Sundance Film Festival, V&A Museum
Business Manager - Barclays
Campaign Co-ordinator – Unison Media
Cataloguer – East Anglian Film Archive
Chartered Accountant - Stoy Hayward
Credit Control - Pedigree Masterfoods
Foreign Exchange Executive - Citibank
Kibbutz - Israel
Librarian (x2) - The London library, East Anglian Daily Times
Postal Worker – Royal Mail
Product Database Matcher - Yahoo
Production Worker - KP Foods
Sabbatical Officer - Kent Union
Venue Supervisor -Canterbury City Council
Waiter - Café Des Amis
Administrator – International Charity
Advertising Copywriter – Ad Agency
Arts Administrator – Arts Organisation
Author – Children’s Books
Careers Adviser – University
Cartographer – Geological Society
Detective – Special Branch
Disability Officer – Equal Opportunities Commission
Film Promo Director – Television Co
Head Of English – Secondary School
Journalist – Magazine
Lecturer/Researcher – University
Logistics Manager – International Retailer
Manager – Chinese Restaurant
Manager – Press Cuttings Agency
Partner – Accountancy Firm
Partner – Law Firm
Presentation Director – Satellite TV Co
Promotions Manager – Music Venue
Acting Course - Drama Centre London
Diploma in Music - Academy of Contemporary Music
Diploma in Film Production - University of Wales, Cardiff
Journalistic Writing Course - The Writing School
Legal Practice Course - College of Law, Guildford
MA Acting - Central School of Speech & Drama, London
MA Cultural & Creative Industries - King's College London
MA English & American Literature – University of Kent
MA Film Studies - University of Kent (xMany!)
MA Film & Television Studies - Warwick University
MA Film Production - Royal Holloway
MA Film & TV Production - Bristol University
MA Media Production - Canterbury Christ Church University
MA Novel Writing - University of Manchester
MA Philosophy (x2) - Reading University, University of Kent
MA Script Writing – UWE
PGCE Citizenship – Canterbury Christ Church University
PGCE (Further Education) - University of Greenwich
PGCE Primary (x2) - University of Greenwich, Oxford Brookes University
Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism (x3) - University of Central Lancashire, Cardiff University, London School of Journalism
Postgraduate Diploma in Publishing - Oxford Brookes University
Script Development Course - Northern School of Film & Television
TEFL Course – South East Essex College