Background. November 2004 AfC agreement signedPrototype unsocial hours scheme removedInterim scheme agreed ? Whitley basedPrototype to continue in Ambulance and optionally in Early Implementer TrustsJoint review of Unsocial Hours SchemeTarget for new scheme April 2006. Review to date. Unsocial
1. Unsocial Hours Update UNISON Health Conference Mike Jackson Senior National Officer (Health)
2. Background November 2004 AfC agreement signed
Prototype unsocial hours scheme removed
Interim scheme agreed – Whitley based
Prototype to continue in Ambulance and optionally in Early Implementer Trusts
Joint review of Unsocial Hours Scheme
Target for new scheme April 2006
3. Review to date Unsocial Hours sub-group (of the Staff Council Executive) set up.
Staff Side Reference Group meets to guide negotiators
Three options developed for testing
Semi-live testing of options Oct-Dec 2005
Results now being analysed April-May
4. Guiding principles Meets equal pay for work of equal value requirement
Affordable (fully funded) Extra Ł75 million set aside.
‘Seeks to avoid new Protections/ Avoids significant numbers of new winners & Losers/ No big fluctuations from present system’ (words from AfC agreement)
Provides incentives, not disincentives for staff to work unsocial hours
Encourages flexibility in working patterns
Simplicity - easy to understand and administer
Earnings and Working Patterns predictable as possible
Assists the improvement of service delivery
Consistent with aims of Improving Working Lives
Would gain support/consensus from NHS community
5. Developing options Initially 4 options examined (bench exercise)
Nurse & Midwives plus
Admin & clerical
Narrowed down to 3 adaptations of Nurses and Midwives (tapered)
Options should be capable of retrospective and prospective payments
6. Three Options Option 1: Whitley N&M Taper (with current provision applying to band 4 and upwards)
Option 2: Whitley N&M Taper with harmonised payments for weekend working
Option 3: Whitley N&M Taper with harmonised payments across the working week
7. Option 1
8. Option 2
9. Option 3
10. Semi-Live Testing Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals
Frimley Park Hospital
Kings Lynn & Wisbech Hospitals
West Country Ambulance
Craven & Harrogate PCT
Harrogate & District Foundation Trust
12. Timetable (cont.)
13. Issues When do unsocial hours payments apply?
How to design payments for weekends?
What payments to apply on Bank Holidays?
How should % enhancements apply to pay bands?
What do we do at the pay band overlaps?
If unforeseen losses how should protection apply?
Should Band 9 be eligible?
Impact on Ambulance and Early Implementers?
How would a prospective system maintain equity with a retrospective system?
How could sleeping in arrangements be incorporated