IN SITU CONSERVATION OF MEDICINAL PLANT GENETIC RESOURCES IN LITHUANIA. Juozas Labokas 1 , Birutė Karpavičienė 1 , Laima Šveistytė 2 , Kristina Ložienė 1 , Jolita Radušienė 1 1 – Laboratory of Economic Botany, Institute of Botany, Žaliųjų Ežerų g. 49, Vilnius, Lithuania
IN SITU CONSERVATION OF MEDICINAL PLANT GENETIC RESOURCES IN LITHUANIA
Juozas Labokas1, Birutė Karpavičienė1, Laima Šveistytė2, Kristina Ložienė1, Jolita Radušienė1
1 – Laboratory of Economic Botany, Institute of Botany,
Žaliųjų Ežerų g. 49, Vilnius, Lithuania
2 – Plant Gene Bank, Žaliųjų Ežerų g. 49, Vilnius, Lithuania
1. The Republic of Lithuania Law on National Plant Genetic Resources (October 2001) in Article 8 states:“For in situ conservation of national plant genetic resources, genetic reserves, gene conservation areas, seed collection stands shall be established or populations, groups or single trees shall be selected. In situ conservation of national plant genetic resources shall not be separated from the conservation of theirnatural habitats, maintenance of vital populations and regeneration through creation of conditions favourable to their development.”http://www3.lrs.lt/pls/inter3/dokpaieska.showdoc_l?p_id=230551
Priority given to the wild species, particularly forest trees.
“Areas of restorative protection priority (restoration and maintenance areas)” shall mean the areas in which the natural resources of importance to activities and society are protected, restored, maintained, enhanced and made restricted use of.
3. Regulations for seed plots attributed to the national plant genetic resources. Ministry of Environment, December 2003.Here, definitions and general rules for the selection, handling, protection and keeping records of seed (genetic) plots are given.
– number of target species and quantity of resources,
– distinctive properties of target species populations,
– position of a plot with respect to local eco-geographical conditions,
– plot delimitation conditions/clearness.
Veliuona seed (genetic) plot,SC Lithuania
Dusia seed (genetic) plot, S Lithuania
Phenotypes of common hawthorn in Dusia plot(Crataegus monogyna)
Target species inventorised in 3 seed (genetic) plots
Continued on next slide
Medicinal and aromatic plants
Berry, nut and fruit plants
Forage species (not target species).
Leaf shape variation in Corylus avellana by the PC1 (length/width relation), representing 40 % of total shape variation (found using elliptic Fourier descriptors & image analysis) Population codes:1 – Ruigiai2 – Strosiunai3 – Spindzius4 – Pabrade5 – Leipalingis6 – Gailiunai7 – Varlaukis
Ramson or Bear’s Garlic
Heath, lingonberry, arnica, etc.
According to the Regulations:
Thank you and welcome to Lithuania!