Coil Pots. When line appears three-dimensional…. The coil technique is used by many cultures and is very versatile…. Coils may be left exposed as part of the overall design effect…. …or sealed for a smooth effect. LINE. Line is defined as the path of a moving point through space
When line appears three-dimensional…
1. Find at least 3 examples (magazine or internet) of geometric shapes
2. Find at least 3 examples of organic shapes
3. Glue the shape examples on a page in your sketchbook
4. Connect the shape images using various line types and spirals…you are forming a type of collage based on shape, line and spirals. FILL THE ENTIRE PAGE…
5. On the back of the page create 2-3 sketches of Exposed Coil pot designs…experiment with the overall form (vase or bowl), geometric or organic shapes, and be sure to incorporate spirals and multiple line types.
You will then create an “exposed coil pot” based on your sketches using the spiral motif…with either geometric or organic shapes, and multiple line types. You will seal the inside coils for strength and durability.