Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Solid State Modulators for FERMI Chris Pappas
2. FERMI Overview
3. Modulator Options Upgrade existing ELETTRA linac PFN/thyratron modulators to run at 50 Hz.
Build new S.S. induction modulators.
Build new “hybrid” S.S. induction modulators.
Will build one new conventional modulator and one hybrid S.S. modulator this year.
Deliver 5 modulators by end ’08.
Deliver 10 modulators by end ’09.
4. Requirements Klystron Thales TH2132
Perviance 1.9-2.1 µA/V3/2
Voltage 320 kV
Current 350 A
Pulse Width 4.5 µs
PRF 50 Hz
Flat Top Deviation <±1%
Pulse-Pulse Ripple <±0.1%
5. Schematic of Hybrid Modulator
6. Modulator Specifications Transformer Turns Ratio 11:1
Number of Cells 8
Number IGBTs per Cell 2
Nominal IGBT Voltage 3820 V
IGBT Voltage w/Fault 4365 V
IGBT Current 1925 A
Core Material 2605CO
Core ID 135 mm
Core OD 430 mm
Core Height 25.4 mm
Number Cores/Cell 3
7. Mechanical Design Looks very similar to the 2-pack modulator.
Will use existing ELETTRA linac racks, transformer and HV tank.
9. Modulator Stack
10. Assembled Stack
11. Electronics Design Use 6.5 kV, 600 A IGBTs
Driver is similar to the 8-pack/SPEAR kicker drivers.
Each cell can have independently programmed delays.
Delays and faults are communicated over a serial bus to a PLC.
Use both di/dt and I*V IGBT fault detection.
12. System Block Diagram
13. Detail of BD
14. Core Drive Board
15. Buffer/Fault Board
16. Gate Drive Board
17. Discriminator Board
18. Trigger Board
19. SPICE Model of Droop
20. R-L Droop Compensation
22. Conclusions Very similar design to the 2-pack and ORION modulators.
Conceptual design is completed.
Now we are detailing mechanical parts, and making PCBs.
Large orders are being places for cores, IGBTs etc.
We have a very aggressive schedule.