An Examination of College Student Sex Practices and History of Formal Sex Education. Shelly Hook, MD, Robert Casanova, MD; Linda Brice, PhD, Lisa Welch, MS, Jennifer Holmes, MSIII. UNPLANNED (TEEN) PREGNANCY Lubbock County 1999 - 2003. Lubbock County (10-17 y/o): 106.6 per 1,000
An Examination of College Student Sex Practices and History of Formal Sex Education
Shelly Hook, MD, Robert Casanova, MD;
Linda Brice, PhD, Lisa Welch, MS,
Jennifer Holmes, MSIII
UNPLANNED (TEEN) PREGNANCY
Lubbock County 1999 - 2003
Source: Texas Department of State Health Services – Family Health Research & Program Development Unit
(2005 – 1,279 Cases) (2006 – 1,417 Cases)
(2005 – 429 Cases) (2006 – 489 Cases)
(2006 – 13 Cases – 7 Early)
Source: Ricky Vaughn, LBSW, City of Lubbock Health Department - 2008
Rates represent cases per 100,000 Population.
Source: Teen Straight Talk: 2005 Texas HIV/STD Surveillance Report (Texas Department of State Health Services)
Source:Teen Straight Talk: CDC – 2005 STD Surveillance Report
Bearman & Bruckner, 2001
1. Bearman P, and Bruckner H, Promoising the future: virginity pledes and the transition to first intercourse. American Journal of Sociology, 2001, 106: 859-912.
2. Centers for Disease Control – 2005 STD Surveillance Report
3. Chung-Park MS, Evaluation of a pregnancy prevention program
using the contraceptive behavior change model. Journalcompilation Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 2007, 1: 81-84.
4. City of Lubbock Health Department – 2008 surveillance data
5. Duffy K, Lynch DA and Santinelli J, Government support for abstinence-only-until-marriage education. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 2008, 84(6): 746-748.
6. Eaton D, Youth risk behavior surveillance - United States, 2007. MMWR Surveillance Summary, 2007, 57, 1-131.
7. Gaydos CA, Hsieh YH, Galbraith JS, Barnes M, Waterfield G and Stanton B, Focus-on-teens, sexual risk-reduction intervention for high-school adolescents: impact on knowledge, change or risk-behaviors, and prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases. International Journal of STD & AIDS, 2008, 19: 704-710.
8. Mueller TE, Gavin LE and Kulkarni A, The association between sex education and youth’s engagement in sexual intercourse, age at first intercourse and birth control use at first sex. Journal of Adolescent Health, 2007, 42: 89-96.
9. Peterson R, Albright J, Garrett JM and Curtis KM, Pregnancy and STD prevention counseling using an adaptation of motivational interviewing: a randomized controlled trial. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2007, 39(1): 21-27.
10. Texas Department of State Health Services – Family Health Research & Program Development Unit, 2005 Texas HIV/STD Surveillance Report