Do Now. 1.) What is a federal system? 2.)How does this picture of a cake depict a federal system?. Agenda 11/28. Do Now Notes on Federalism and creation of Federalism flip chart. Activity: Does this meet the federalism test? Around the room Scenarios using your flip chart.
1.) What is a federal system?
2.)How does this picture of a cake depict a federal system?
The idea of a federal system is outlined in Article IV (4) of the Constitution:
“This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States…shall be the supreme Law of the Land.”
Full Faith and Credit Clause:
“Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.”
Federalism is also mentioned in the 10th amendment of the Constitution:
“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people”
Power given to the national government under the Constitution.
(Coin money, raise an army)
(Police, education, licensing)
(Taxing, maintain Roads/construction)
Practice: Colorado’s Scenic Drive Highway has become overcrowded. The state legislature passes a law forbidding out-of-state drivers from using the highway?
Can Colorado’s state legislature do this? (Yes or No) Why?
“Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.”
1. Michigan, hard hit by a recession, has decided to issue coins made from old cars in order to stimulate the economy.
Only Congress has the ability to coin money.
“To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures”
2. Congress passes a law imposing new regulations upon airlines engaged in interstate commerce (doing business in several states and across state lines.)
3. Displeased with the U.S. Postal Service, the state legislature of Nevada has passed a law creating the Nevada Postal Service.
4. The neighboring state of Illinois has annexed Lake County, Indiana.
5. The Governor of Montana requests that Kentucky return John Doe to Montana. Doe, convicted of murder in Montana, had fled to Kentucky where local authorities captured him.
6. John Jones has been legally adopted in the state of Arkansas. After the Jones family moves to Georgia, the Georgia State Welfare Agency takes John from his adoptive parents. The Agency claims its does not recognize Arkansas adoption laws
Colorado’s Amendment 64 legalizes small amounts of recreational marijuana for personal use. Under the law, anyone 21 and older may possess up to an ounce of marijuana, and can smoke it in a private place without violating state law.
1.) Using what you learned today about federalism can the state of Colorado do this? Explain (3-4 sentences).