Apply the whole of ourselves to the text; Apply the text wholly to yourself! J.A. Bengel (1687-1752). Bengel worded it as an exhortation. With us as the active agents in the interpretive process. However, what if we write it this way , Apply the whole of ourselves to the text;
Apply the text wholly to yourself!
J.A. Bengel (1687-1752)
Apply the whole of ourselves to the text;
And the text will apply itself wholly to you!
In present scholarship, we can categorize three different groups of theories, regarding the location of meaning
1. World Behind the text (Author-centered)
2. World Within the text (Text-centered)
3. World in front of the text (Reader-centered)
Space - Time Barrier
1. Observe Text
2. Ask Key Text-Driven Questions
3. Answer Questions Using Textual Evidence and Interpretive tools (Word Studies/Cultural Historical Background, etc.)