Domain Name Disputes Rami Olwan Bibliotheca Alexandrina IP and the Digital Age Workshop 20-22 December 2008. Outline. Definition and types of domain names Why domain names are important? ICANN and its functions Conflicts over domain names Resolving conflicts.
Domain Name Disputes
IP and the Digital Age Workshop
20-22 December 2008
.com, .edu, .aero, .org .int, .mil, .gov, .net
.coop, .pro, .info, .museum, .tel, .cat,.jobs
.name,.travel .asia, .mobi, .biz, .apra
.AU (Australia),.BS (Bahamas), .CY (Cyprus)
.GT (Guatemala), .NA (Namibia)
.PH (Philippines), .SH (St. Helena), .ES (Spain)
.TT (Trinidad and Tobago), .TV (Tuvalu),
.VE (Venezuela), .WS (Western Samoa) ….
names,and the main ones are as follows:
1)Registering a domain names identical to a trademark
2)Registering a domain nameconfusinglysimilar to a
3)Registering a domain name to express disatisfaction
with a trademark or a corporation (cyber-smearing).
4) Other conflicts may arise such as : competing use, non competing use and internationalized domain names ….
1) Negotiating (may lead to transfer if the registrant agrees)
2) UDRP (gTLDs and certain ccTLDs).
3) Registrars domain names dispute policies (ccTLDs).
4) Local courts (applying traditional trademarks laws or
5) Arbitration and Mediation (in the even that both
1) e-Resolution (ceased working in December 2001 for
2) Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Center
3) WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center (WIPO).
4) CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution (CPR).
5) National Arbitration Forum (NAF).
The three requirements for Complainant to obtain a
(i) domain name is identical or confusingly similar to
Complainant’s trademark or service mark.
(ii) Registrant has no right or legitimate interest in
respect of domain name.
(iii) domain name was registered and is being used
in bad faith.
fide offering of goods or services.
1. Background materials
Resolution, Geneva, October 19 and 20, 2006.
program, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, March 2003.
- ICANN at http://www.icann.org
- WIPO at http://www.wipo.int
- IANNA at http://www.ianna.org
Any questions or comments ?