Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. FAU conference, CBS, 14-15 May 2008
Crop water use under urban conditions
Chistian R. Jensen
Department of Agricultural Sciences,
Faculty of Life Sciences,
University of Copenhagen
3. ET from soil water balance method ET=I + P- RO- DP+ CR± ?SF ± ?SW
RO= Surface runoff (often large under urban conditions, could be used for water harvesting)
?SW=change in soil water content over time
7. Water savings using different irrigation method
8. Sprinkler irrigation
11. Drip irrigation system
12. Container yards in nurseries
15. Container yards: Assessment of irrigation methods ++ very good; +good; -bad; --very bad (After: Nielsen 2002)
17. Potential water saving in agriculture: Conveyance (22%);
Irrigation Scheduling (10%),
Deficit irr. (10%),
Waste water (10%)
(After EU Water saving potential, 2007)
21. Evaporation on a typical Nordic summer day Energy in radiation 20000 kJ m-2
For evaporation, 40 % 8000 kJ m-2
Heat of evaporation of water 2450 kJ kg-1
Evaporated water 8000/2450 = 3.3 kg m-2 or 33 tons ha-2
Corresponding to 0.0033 m3 / m-2 = 3.3 mm
Potentiel evaporation, max 6-7 mm day-1
Common evaporation 3- 5 mm dag-1
23. Measurement of ET from pan evaporation Measurement of precipitation by rain gauge
24. ETr from Penman-Monteith equation (Monteith 1971)
26. Max root zone capacity, mm
30. System water supply claim m3/ha/hr for different % of coverage and daily precipitation deficit
31. Take home message Due to dwindling municipal water resources better water management needed by:
Utilizing water havesting of surface runoff water after filtering
Precision irrigation and fertigation,
Measurement of soil water content to control irrigation
32. Ongoing projects at KU/AU Danish Research Counsil:Project : SJVF project 1.9 mill kr. Starting 15/9/04-2009 Physiological basis for improving water use efficiency in crop plants under ‘partial root zone drying (PRD)’ irrigation strategy.
Strawberries – New irrigation Techniques (PRD-irrigation) for Better Tast , Quality Keeping and Reducing Pesticide and Water Use. ‘Direktoratet for FødevareErhverv, DFFE. Funding 1.977.345,- kr for 1/1 2007-31/12/2010 Coop project between Research Centre Årslev, Århus University and the Applicant.
New Irrigation Schemes. Responsible for Partner 3 UoC Faculty of Life Sciences activities (8 mill kr.) in the SAFIR:EU-project. Safe and High Quality Food Production using Low Quality Waters and improved Irrigation System and Management (Contract No.: 023168 SAFIR) 1/10/2005-31/9/2009. 17 partners 55 mill kr.
SWUP-MED: EU-project. Sustainable Water Use Securing Food Production in Dry Areas of the Mediterranean Region. 1/7/2008-31/6/2012. Coordinator S.-E. Jacobsen; EU project with 10 partners, DK IJV KU-Life participants Fulai Liu, C.R. Jensen. Total budget 24 mill kr.
Brouwer C et al. 1985. Irrigation water management: Training manual No. 1- Introduction to Irrigation. http:www.fao.org
Brouwer C & Hwibloem M. 1986. Irrigation water mangement: Irrigation water needs. Training manual No. 3. http:www.fao.org
Allen et al. 1998. Crop evapotranspiration - Guidelines for computing crop water requirements - FAO Irrigation and drainage paper 56
Hagin et al. 2004. Fertigation. Fertilization through Irrigation. IPI Research Topics No. 23. International Potash Institute. CH-4001 Basel
Mogensen V.O. 1990. Markvandingssystemer. DSR-forlag
Mogensen V.O., Jensen C.R., 2002 Markafgrøder, Klima og Vandforsyning. KVL, Samfundslitteratur KVL-Bogladen. 376 sider.
Mogensen V.O., Jensen C.R 2004 Mekaniske Vandingssystemer. Kompendie
Nielsen HK 2002. Vandingsystemer til containerpladser. Høyskoleforlaget. Norge. P. 127
Nakayama FS, Bucks DA 1986. Trickle irrigation for crop production. Design, opration, mangemant. Development in Agricultural Engineering 9
Stewaret et al. (Co.editors) 1990. Irrigation of agricultural crops. Agronomy No. 30. ASA