Social Networking to Support Researchers at Minority Serving Institutions. Marlon Pierce Community Grids Lab Indiana University. Acknowledgements. Geoffrey Fox (PI) Joshua Rosen (Developer) Siddharth Maini (Developer) Part of MSI-CIEC, an NSF OCI CITEAM Funded Project
Social Networking to Support Researchers at Minority Serving Institutions
Community Grids Lab
Can Be Click-Tagged. Additional feeds easy to make with OpenKapow’s Robomaker.
Tag Cloud of Everything
Clicking a tag brings up all the URLs in the main area.
Gives a list of most recent additions.
Not very well
You can Drag and Drop any menu items between left and right navigational menu
Dragged Recent Tags
Personal User Tags
Personalized Bookmarklet when you Login appears
Either Drag it into the Bookmark menu in Firefox or Right-click and “Book this Link”
Click the Bookmarklet button
algore nobel peace prize
Assign tags and Submit Query
When you return to the portal, you will see the tags added to your list.
Results are highlighted in bold and the corresponding user who owns the tag is also displayed
Searching the tag “research” gives a list of other users with this tag.
Click the user name to navigate to the profile.
Click the tag to get the real URL and navigate out.
Harvesting NSF Tags
Harvesting NSF information to seed the system with relevant proposal information.
NSF.org sends back an XML encoding of your search request.
You can start at a user or a grant
You find “which grants has this user worked on” or “which users worked on this grant”
In this way, you can find users by crawling from user to grant and vice versa
Also, you can use the tags to narrow your search (e.g. only large awards, only a certain directorate)
We are working on a system to use tags to successively refine searches.
Connotea used as a backing bookmark manager.
- Used in interface for animations and page loading
- PHP framework to facilitate uses of xml, databases, and various other functions
- Used to interface with database
- Being used for advanced animated effects and navigation interface
- a website that allows users to share classes and functions they created
- A ‘queue’ class was adapted for use in the NSF loader
- A ‘rssGenerator’ class is being used to create various rss feeds
- Allows the creation of navigation robots to create REST and RSS services
- Used in news rss feed and some other planned services
To send messages
Or some better way to communicate with groups or each other
Ontology tree for a common Tag Cloud