Welcome to EL- 243 Humanities. Spring 2004. Object + to Be. Past participle. is. is. is. are. are. are. am. am. am. was. was. was. were. were. were. been. been. been. be. be. be. The Passive Voice. General Rule. +. e.g. They made the first computer in 1944.
The Passive Voice
e.g. They made the first computer in 1944.
The first computer was made in 1944.
1. The company manager ______________ a big
mistake when he kicked out his best employee.
a. made b. was made c. will be made d. is made
2. English ____________________ from left to right.
a. is written b. write c. will write d. has written
3. They ____________________ a new shopping centre in Doha recently.
a. was built b. have built c. will be building d. were built
4. "Hamlet" is a famous play. It _________________ by Shakespeare in the 16th century.
a. wrote b. will write c. was written d. is writing
1. We need vitamins in small amounts.
Vitamins are needed in small amounts.
2. We obtain minerals from the earth’s crust.
Minerals are obtained from the earth’s crust.
Change into the active.
1. In the past engines were driven by steam.
In the past steam drove engines.
2. English is taught all around the world.
They teach English all around the world.
will do b. must do c. will be done d. is going to do
6. The secretary _______ many reports and memos.
a. have been typed b. were typed c. types
d. will be typed
7. Many activities ________________at Qatar University.
a. have performed b. perform
c. will perform d. have been performed
8. Many buildings__________ in Doha.
a. are building b. are being built c. build d. will build
will be done
have been performed
are being built
I will go when I am ready. S V O C A
How you did it is not my business.
S V O C A
3. I bought the books which were cheap.
S V O C A
4. I put the book in the drawer. S V O C A
5. Salem has become an excellent student. S V O C ACircle the sentence components of the underlined words.
AIdentify the sentence components.
Sarah is my mother. She cooks us
Machboos at weekends.
2. It is cold outside. I must ___________ my coat.
3. Our car broke down, so we had to __________ our trip.
4. boxes.George is a big liar. I don’t know why he
5. If you don’t know the meaning of a word, you can
_________ it __________ in a dictionary.
6. Mary couldn’t carry her child anymore, so she _______
him _________ and got some rest.
and Gook Luck