Sociology. Research methods . Starter. Look at the picture below. What are some questions a sociologist would ask while interpreting this picture ? http://www.cnn.com/video/#/ video/world/2012/08/27/pkg-damon-child-fighter-on-syria-lebanon-border.cnn?iref=videosearch.
Fact: Believed the structure of society intertwines with economic structure.
Sociologist: Karl Marx
Fact: Coined the term ‘function’ for the interrelated parts of society.
Sociologist: Emile Durkheim
Fact: Influenced heavily by Charles Darwin.
Sociologist: Herbert Spencer
Fact: Conceptualized social statics and social dynamics
Sociologist: Auguste Comte
Fact: Conceptualized the ‘ideal type’ as a key feature of societies.
Sociologist: Max Weber
Through ‘social research’
Correlation does not equal causation!!!!
Example: A rise in ice cream sales leads to a rise in drowning victims.
- hypothesis= statement predicting the relationship between two variables.
4) Choose a Research Design how are you going to collect data, and then analyze it?
5) Collect the Data can vary in amount of time; make sure to record everything!
6) Analyze the Data does the data that you collected support your research hypothesis?
7) Presenting Conclusions draw the conclusion and present your findings to others . By sharing your findings, you are adding to the body of sociological knowledge.
***DOES NOT HAVE TO BE WRITTEN***
- Computers have improved the ease of this greatly.