Physical processes. Steve Krueger and Chin-Hoh Moeng Fort Collins, CO July 29-31, 2008. Long-term goal:. Improved SGS physics (all the small scale stuff) in MMF low-level clouds PBL turbulence microphysics radiation. Six presentations (1).
Steve Krueger and Chin-Hoh Moeng
Fort Collins, CO
July 29-31, 2008
Improved SGS physics
(all the small scale stuff)
Six presentations (1)
1. Robert Pincus: Described his new, less expensive,
2. Andy Heymsfield: Identified specific conditions
for cloud droplet survival and homogeneous
ice nucleation from lots of field data.
3. Anning Cheng: Implemented and tested their
new PBL scheme (IPHOC) in VVM.
Six presentations (2)
4. Joao Teixeira: Described the eddy diffusion-mass
flux (EDMF) PBL scheme used in ECMWF.
5. Peter Henderson: Evaluated SAM’s cloud at
the SGP ARM site.
6. Steve Krueger: Evaluated joint PDF representations
of PBL clouds using the giga-LES dataset.
Posters on Physical Processes
1. Bogenschutz: Examined an improved SGS turbulence/cloud scheme (assumed PDF) using giga-LES data.
2. Yamaguchi: Studied cloud-top entrainment instability of marine stratocumulus.
3. Schmitt: Examined low-latitude tropopause cirrus cloud properties.
4. Suzuki: Evaluated warm cloud microphysics processes in CRM using A-Train satellite data.
Action items: Implementation and testing of new SGS schemes in MMF
1. Implement a new radiation algorithm in SAM. (Pincus)
2. Implement the EDMF scheme in SAM? (Teixeira)
3. Perform more testing of IPHOC in VVM (Cheng)
4. Upgrade/test two-moment cloud scheme in SAM (Morrison)
5. Continue to find/develop improved SGS schemes
(The rest of us…)