Year 9 Digital Story- Laboratory Safety. While performing a laboratory session, you accidentally knock over a beaker that contains high concentrations of nitric acid with your elbow. Although you are wearing safety equipment, the acid could become a concern to other unaware students around you. .
While performing a laboratory session, you accidentally knock over a beaker that contains high concentrations of nitric acid with your elbow. Although you are wearing safety equipment, the acid could become a concern to other unaware students around you.
Start your adventure below!
There are several methods available to you in order to overcome this situation.
Removing your lab coat to wipe up the spill.
Secure the area to ensure no one comes into contact with the acid.
Look for the teacher. teacher.
While walking away from the spill to receive help, you spot fellow classmates crowding around the spill looking intrigued. Do you continue looking for the teacher or return to the area before anyone touches the acid?
Return and secure the area.
While leaving the acid spill unattended, one of your classmates has touched the acid with their hand and has been burnt badly. Another attempts to clean the spill immediately with paper towels which are extremely flammable, causing further concerns.
You have failed
You have avoided any chance of unknowing students being at risk by the nitric acid. How will you proceed?
Ask a student to retrieve paper towels and a toxic waste bag for safe disposal.
Send someone with knowledge of the spill to inform the teacher of the incident.
After sending help, you are unsure of whether you need to wait or if your job is finished.
Students that have arrived late to the lab are unaware of the spilled acid and burn their hands on the highly corrosive substance. It was your duty to ensure students would steer clear of the dangerous area.
The teacher arrives to correctly inform and evacuate students from the laboratory. You have avoided any risks associated with a nitric acid spill and everyone remained unharmed.
The inflammable lab coat is effective in removing a large quantity of the nitric acid but some acid still remains. How do you remove the remaining acid and dispose of the lab coat?
Use paper towels to wipe up the remaining acid.
Carry the acid soaked lab coat to the bin to dispose of it.
Alert the teacher of the situation disposal.
While carrying the lab coat to the bin, drops of nitric acid are being spread throughout the laboratory room which raises major health concerns for any students within the class or future classes. What do you do next?
Ignore the acid drops and hope that no one touches it
The paper towels are highly flammable and burst into flames upon contact with the nitric acid. This is a serious health concern as it burns your hand and puts other students at risk.
You have failed
Inform the teacher disposal.
After the student returns with the waste bag you are unsure of whether to secure the area from unknowing students and inform the teacher or to leave the area and attempt to avoid trouble from the teacher.
Leave the area
You have successfully informed the teacher and secured the area. Despite having a safe ending, this pathway could have resulted in serious injury should your hands have come into contact with the acid.
Success with risk!
After telling the teacher about the acid drops spread throughout the room he/she alerts the head of science to close down the laboratory room for the remainder of the day. Although no one was hurt with this method, you get into trouble because you did not follow the correct safety procedures.
Success with consequence!
A student participating in a later class burns their hand on the nitric acid and has to go to hospital. The teacher was told that you were the student who dropped the acid all over the floor and that you chose not to tell a teacher of the incident to avoid trouble. You are held responsible for the injury resulting in major consequences.
You have failed