Puritanism. The Puritans Lifestyle Literature Religion Salem and the history of witchcraft Arthur Miller’s, The Crucible Events and Technology Timeline. The Puritans.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The "Witch House" dates back to the first Puritan settlers (1642). It was the home of a witch trial judge, Jonathan Corwin (who is not in The Crucible).
1. Strong belief that Satan is acting in the world. ---------"The invisible world": disease, natural catastrophes, and bad fortune
2. A belief that Satan actively recruits witches and wizards ---------Prior witchcraft cases
3. A belief that a person afflicted by witchcraft exhibits certain symptoms.
4. A time of troubles, making it seem likely that Satan was active. ---------Congregational strife in Salem Village ---------Frontier wars with Indians
5. Stimulation of imaginations by Tituba (slave).
6. Teenage boredom.
7. Confessing "witches" adding credibility to earlier charges.
8. Old feuds (disputes within congregation, property disputes) between the accusers and the accused spurring charges of witchcraft.
The play is social commentary made by Miller in response to the McCarthy Un-American, witch hunt trials of the 1950’s.
"The reason why we find ourselves in a position of impotency is not because the enemy has sent men to invade our shores, but rather because of the traitorous actions of those who have had all the benefits that the wealthiest nation on earth has had to offer - the finest homes, the finest college educations, and the finest jobs in Government we can give."
The Crucible is a play by Arthur Miller, which explores the Salem Witch Trials.
It does not maintain all authentic situations from the historical events. However, it does demonstrate how hysteria and blind faith can corrupt individuals, even those with good intentions.