Environment Canada and the Toronto 2015 Pan American & Parapan American Games. Arnold Ashton Ontario Storm Prediction Centre Environment Canada Great Lakes Operational Meteorology Workshop Ann Arbor, May 13-15, 2014. PanAm : July 10-26, 2015. Parapan : Aug 7-15, 2015. Scope of Games:.
Toronto 2015 Pan American & Parapan American Games
Ontario Storm Prediction Centre
Great Lakes Operational Meteorology Workshop
Ann Arbor, May 13-15, 2014
PanAm: July 10-26, 2015
Parapan: Aug 7-15, 2015Scope of Games:
- Safety and security during the Games
- Showcase EC’s advancement in science and technology
- Two PanAm desks + One Briefer desk
- Issue VENUE-specific warnings and Tailored venue forecasts
To create a FRAMEWORK:
- CONSISTENCY in forecasts & warnings
- ACCURACY in forecasts & warnings
- To improve warning LEAD TIMES (and reduce False Alarms)
Severe Weather Warningsareimportant, especially in large crowd scenarios such as the 2015 Games
Jul 17, 2011
Aug 1, 2009
SUMMER SEVERE WEATHER
Heavy Rain Strong Winds Air Quality
Lightning Hail Heat/UV
Severe Weather Warnings, Smog and Humidex Advisories are Issued as Required
Forecasts are for broad areas
Weather Warnings are issued on Sub-Region Scale.
The Severe Weather can be sub sub regional! Or Points!
NEED VENUE WARNINGS!
EC AMMOS Mobile Mesonet Stations
Courtesy: Dr. David Sills
250-m grid spacing computational domain
Test the ability of new NWP to provide improved guidance for the following events over the GTA:
Pilot Project Launched during the Pan Am Games for: