The role of Agency for Science and Higher Education. Prof.dr.sc. Jasmina Havranek. Knowledge-based society. innovative and competitive spirit scientific and technological development. Accountability of University. preparing the citizens: competitiveness,
Prof.dr.sc. Jasmina Havranek
Accountability of University
preparing the citizens: competitiveness,
competence, quality education, ethics,
democracy, bridging national and cultural
Greater autonomy followed by more accountability.
Establishment of national quality assurancesystems and agencies for monitoring of quality assurance encouraged.
Croatian institutional framework:
National Council for Higher Education
National Council for Science
Agency for Science and Higher Education
Ministry of Science, Education and Sports
National Foundation for Science, Higher Education and Technological Development
Need for improvement of legislation in order to clarify competences of both the National Council for Higher Education and the Agency for Science and Higher Education.
External and internal quality assurance:
Principles: transparency, dialogue, truth andassociation.
fromthe point of view of responsibilities and ownership, derived fromactual practice
The current Croatian QA system is very close to - or even perhaps identical with - the mixed (semi-state) system.
It has been considered to move away from this model and try to shift to model of the co-operative system.
Recommended by CARDS 2003 project Furtherance of the Agency for Science and Higher Education in its Quality Assurance Role and the Development of a Supporting Information System
1. Each institution (faculty) should be expected to have a well defined and clear strategy based on a SWOT analysis.
2. Based on the strategy, there should be a quality document (handbook) presenting the
– quality goals (What?),
– quality mechanisms, procedures (How? covering all major activities),
– roles and responsibilities in relation to QA (Who? involving students)of the given institution (faculty).
The QA model described in the quality document should actually be implemented.
3. Organised and regular monitoring and feedback, both internal and external, built in the system.
4. Implementation of corrective and quality enhancement measures according to findings of monitoring and feedback.
→ society of knowledge and successful economy