Muscle Structure and Function. Skeletal muscle. Cardiac muscle. Smooth muscle. Types of Muscle. The human body is comprised of 324 muscles Muscle makes up 30-35% (in women) and 42-47% (in men) of body mass. Three types of muscle:. A. Skeletal (Striated) Muscle.
Muscle Structure and Function
Three types of muscle:
Components of skeletal muscle
a) Muscle b) muscle fibre bundle c) muscle fibre d) myofibril
- the muscle or group of muscles producing a desired effect
- the muscle or group of muscles opposing the action
- the muscles surrounding the joint being moved
- the muscle or group of muscles that steady joints closer to the body axis so that the desired action can occur
Fast twitch fibres:
Fast Glycolytic (Type IIb)
Fast Oxidative Glyc. (Type IIb)
Slow twitch fibres:
Slow Oxidative (Type I)
1. Injection of local anesthetic into the muscle being sampled
2. Incision of approximately 5-7mm is made in the skin and fascia of the muscle
3. The piece of tissue (250-300mg) removed via the biopsy needle is imbedded in OCT compound
4. The sample is frozen in isopentane cooled to –180C
Fast twitch fibres – rich in myosin ATPase (alkaline labile)
Slow twitch fibres – low in myosin ATPase (acid labile)
Activation of motor unit and its innervation systems
1) What are the 3 types of muscle found in the human body?
2) Skeletal muscle is made up of bundles of ________, each of which are made up of a number of ________.
3) What are the 3 types of muscle fibres? Give two characteristics of each type of fibre.
4) What are the main types of fibre contraction? Give real life examples of each.
6) Discuss the differences between inter- and intra-muscle coordination
There will be some information that is not in your text. Do your best for now.
Cross bridge formation
Slow twitch fibres
Fast twitch fibres