QUALITY, LEADERSHIP AND TOP MANAGEMENT: THE ESSENCE OF LIS. BY Dr. SYED NEHAL IMAM. Introduction. Those who aim high reach high. 1.Quality. Quality can be described as doing the right thing, in right way on right time as well as doing it right the first time and doing it right every time.
Dr. SYED NEHAL IMAM
Q – Quest for excellence of knowledge
U – Understanding the user’s need
A – Actions to achieve user’s demand
L – Leadership quality for Librarian
I – Involving all staff
T – Team spirit for achieving common goal
Y – Yard stick to measure progress
Total Quality involves a continuous improvement effort by everyone, top to bottom of the organization to meet or exceed the users’ satisfaction. It includes systems, methods and tools
Basic principals of Total Quality
1. Focus on the user: Meeting or exceeding user’s needs
2. Participation and Teamwork: Participation through team work to get maximum output.
3. Employee involvement and Empowerment: Empowering employees with some authority and responsibility to make them a vital force for achieving quality target.
4. Continuous Improvement and Learning: Improvement and learning is never ending process.
5. Senior Management Commitment: Librarian must be personally involved in activities such as planning, implementation of policies , reviewing quality performance and interacting with users etc.
6. Process Identity: Identifying the process and sub process, interrelating and sequencing them in proper way.
7. Continuous Process Improvement
8. System approach:-Operation should be defined by a system followed by sub-system.
9. Self Assessment:-To know the strength and weakness.
10. Prevention rather than defecting errors:-By various tools and techniques such as statistical process control.
11. Strategic planning:-It reveals “who are our users? What is their expectations? How do we achieve this goal? What workforce, machine and money is required? etc
12. Quality measurement:- “To know what is our current quality level? And what quality level we aspire to achieve?
PLAN : What is to be done?
DO : Execute the plan.
STUDY: Study the results.
ACT : Decide the required process
Focuses on dramatic improvement of quality and speed of work to reduce its cost by fundamentally changing the process by following methods.
Leaders are born.
Good leaders are made not born.
He must have technically proficient.
He must be initiative.
He must motivate employees and understand human nature.
He must provide guidance to sub-ordinates.
He must seek responsibility and take responsibility.
He must create confidence in sub-ordinates.
He must keep staff well informed.
He must take sound and timely decision.
Creative insight:-Ask right questions and frame right answer.
Sensibility:- Be sensitive to a culture created by people in the organization.
Vision:- Have a vision about future.
Versatility:- Adopt to change comfortably, pursue difficult skills to be versatile.
Focus:- on available resources.
Patience:- Living in the long term.
(Bill Gates of Microsoft never rested on his past success of MS-DOS but kept updating it by his innovation. Now he is computer wizard)
“Those who aim high reach high”