ITALY, 1500-1600. GARDNER CHAPTER 22-2 PP. 588-596. MICHELANGELO.
GARDNER CHAPTER 22-2
MICHELANGELO BUONARROTI, David, 1501–1504. Marble, 13’ 5” high. Galleria dell’Accademia, Florence. Here is Vasari’s description of David,…nor has there ever been seen a pose so easy, or any grace to equal that in this work, or feet, hands and head so well in accord, one member with another, in harmony, design, and excellence of artistry.
The statue depicts Moses with horns on his head. This is based on a literal translation of the Latin Vulgate of Exodus 34:29-35, which speak of Moses\' face as having "horns," horns being symbolic of authority in ancient Near Eastern culture. However, in both Latin and Hebrew the word for horns can also refer to rays of light.
Michelangelo conceived the scheme for the ceiling which eventually comprised some three hundred figures and took four years to execute, being completed in 1512.In order to reach the chapel\'s ceiling, Michelangelo designed his own scaffold, a flat wooden platform on brackets built out from holes in the wall near the top of the windows, rather than being built up from the floor which would have involved a massive structure and would have meant that the chapel was unavailable for use.
MICHELANGELO BUONARROTI, ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, Rome, Italy, 1508–1512. Fresco, approx. 128’ x 45’.
MICHELANGELO BUONARROTI,The Downfall of Adam and Eve and their Expulsion from the Garden of Eden, ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, Rome, Italy, 1511–1512. Fresco, approx. 9’ 2” x 18’ 8”.
The overt subject matter of the ceiling is the doctrine of humanity’s need for Salvation as offered by God through Jesus. It is a visual metaphor of Humankind\'s need for a covenant with God. The old covenant of the Children of Israel through Moses and the new covenant through Christ had already been represented around the walls of the chapel.
Detail of the Azor-Sadoch lunette’s left side over one of the Sistine Chapel windows at various stages of the restoration process, Vatican City, Rome, Italy, 1977–1989