Britain. Cross of St.Andrew (Scotland). Cross of St.George (England). Cross of St.Patrick (Ireland). Union Flag Since 1801. Politics - Parties - Government. Basic Government System. Constitutional Monarchy. Parliamentary & Bicameral.
Cross of St.Andrew (Scotland)
Cross of St.George (England)
Cross of St.Patrick (Ireland)
Union Flag Since 1801
Politics - Parties - Government
* first-past-the-post ~Electoral system based on single-member districts in which the candidate who receives the most votes wins.
Since 1945, either the Conservative Party or the Labour Party has held power.
The Liberal Democrats formed in 1988, when the Liberal Party merged with the Social Democratic Party.Political Parties
i-uk website - Political Parties
The Presidency of the Council of the EU has 3 essential functions:
The Presidency rotates between the Member States every six months.
Britain currently holds the Presidency of the EU, from 1 July 2005 to 31 December 2005.
“ If he doesn’t get a deal he’ll be slammed for failure – if he does, he’ll be accused of surrendering the rebate”
- The UK won the rebate in 1984, after the then prime minister Margaret Thatcher threatened to halt payments to the EU budget.
- The UK was then the third poorest member of the Community but was on course to become the biggest net contributor to the EU budget.
- This was mainly because the UK had relatively few farms, so it got a relatively small share of farm subsidies, which at the time made up 70% of Community expenditure.
Challenges for the New Leader :
Date of birth: 9 October 1966 Job: Shadow education secretary Education: Eton College; Brasenose College, OxfordFamily: Married, son and daughter
On his party\'s future: "The problem was that people don\'t yet trust the Conservative Party and it is we who have got to change. What we have to do is make a change in the culture and identity of the Conservative Party and explain what this means today."
What the press say: "He is young, charming, telegenic and altogether, less macho than [David] Davis. He is easy enough to caricature as a risotto-munching, Notting Hill toff, but his life has not been entirely smooth as he has a severely disabled child,“
- Suzanne Moore, Mail on Sunday.
Date of birth: 23 December 1948 Job: Shadow home secretary Education: Bec Grammar School, Tooting; Warwick University; London Business School; Harvard Business School Family: Married, one son, two daughters
On his party\'s future: "Modern Conservatives will show that we are not in politics for ourselves. We are not here to defend privilege or accept the status quo. We have a real purpose to change Britain and improve lives."
What the press say: "He has got self-confidence, ruthlessness, ambition and a keen tactical sense, all necessary qualities for leadership. What is unproven is whether he has the team-making and strategic skills"
- Andrew Rawnsley, The Observer
BBC News – UK Edition
God Save The Queen!
Pine Crest AP Comparative Govt. - UK Website
Mr.Rogers AP Comp. Govt.
Period 6 Fall 2005