Making Character Count!. Counselor’s Presentation Grades 3-5. What is Empathy? Be concerned for the feelings of others. We all like to give pleasure and enjoyment to others. We all have different points of view. Building Empathy. “Put Yourself in Someone Else’s Shoes”
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Making Character Count!
What is Empathy?
Be concerned for the feelings of others.
We all like to give pleasure and enjoyment to others.
We all have different points of view.
“Put Yourself inSomeone Else’s Shoes”
It is important to try to imagine how someone else feels.
Pam misses an easy word in the spelling bee. Pam feels crushed and humiliated. “I’m such a loser,” she thinks. “I’ll never compete in a spelling bee again.”
Leora misses an easy word in the spelling bee. Leora is disappointed but not upset. “I can try again next year, “ she thinks. “And I’ll practice more next time.
An older kid grabs Jason’s hat. How might Jason feel?
Jason’s feelings could vary depending on who the older kid is, whether the older kid is friendly or hostile, whether this is part of a pattern, or how easily Jason’s feelings are hurt.
Lee invites Chris to a kung fu movie. How might Chris feel?
Chris’s feelings could vary depending on how Chris feels about kung fu movies, how Chris feels about Lee, and what other prospects Chris has that day.
Write a word to tell how you think each person feels. What could you do or say to show empathy to each of them?
1. At recess, some kids make fun of Fred for being clumsy.
2. Amy knows Karen likes Michael because Karen wrote “Karen M.” on her new notebook.
3. Jack studied hard for his math test, but he only got a score of 78.
5. Jenny’s best friend is moving far away.
4. Yolanda lost her purse. All her money was in it.
6. Calvin accidentally spilled grape juice on Alyssa’s white sweater.
1. Have you ever lost a pet that you loved very much. How did you feel?
2. What would you say to someone whose pet had just been killed? What do you think would be the best way to show you understand?
3. Why is it important to think carefully before you say anything to a friend who is feeling very sad?