情态动词 ( modal verbs). 情态动词表说话人的某种感情 或语气，对某一动作或状态的 某种态度。表示“需要、可以、 必须、应当”等。. 1. can 与 could. 1. 表能力. 1) Some of us can use the computer now, but we couldn’t last year. 2) The new-built theatre can seat 1500 people. 3) Can she be in the computer center?
情态动词 ( modal verbs)
1. can 与could
1) Some of us can use the computer now,
but we couldn’t last year.
2) The new-built theatre can seat 1500 people.
3) Can she be in the computer center?
4) I though what he said could not be true.
5) Can/Could I use your dictionary?
6) Could you lend me a hand?
3. 表示“请求” “允许”(表请求时，口语中常用
could 代替 can 使语气更委婉，回答时用can)
4. 表示“许可”，可与may 换用。
You can go home now.
5. can 用于疑问句或否定句中时，表惊异、
How can you say that you really understand the whole
Story if you have covered only part of the article?
6. can’t/ couldn’t +have + done 表示对过去
Susan can’t have written a report like this.
7. could + have + done 表示对过去能做而
It’s a pity. Your class could have got the first prize.
2. may 与might
常用 might 代 may ,表示委婉语气。
不用 “may not”. “may not” 表示“可能不” 。
Eg: 1)--- May I watch TV after supper?
--- Yes, you may. / No, you mustn’t.
2) Today is Sunday. She may not be in her office now.
2. 表示可能性。 意为“或许，可能” might 比 may
Eg: 1) It might be true.
2) They may be in the library now.
3. may/ might as well + 动词原形 “…还是…的好”
Eg: You may as well go and have a look.
4. May you +动词原形 表“希望、祝愿、祈求”
Eg: May you success.
the alarm clock and gone back to sleep again.
A. might B. should
C. can D. will
2.Peter _____ come with us tonight,
but he isn’t very sure yet.
A. must B. may
C. can D. will
3. Some people who don’t like to talk much are not necessarily shy；they just be quiet people.
A. must B. may
C. should D. would
4.Liza ___ well not want to go on the trip --- she hates traveling.（2008全国II）
A. will B. can C. must D. may
3. will 与would
1. 表“请求、建议”等，用 would 比用will 委婉，客气些
Eg: 1)Will you lend me your book?
2) Would you like a cup of tea?
2. 用于表示意志或意愿。 will 指现在，
而 would 指 过去。
Eg: 1) I’ll never do that again.
2) They said that they would help us.
3.表示习惯性动作。 译作 “总是、惯于” will 指现在，
Eg: 1)He will often read all night.
2) Fish will die without water.
3) Every evening, she would sit by window,
deep in thought.
Eg: 1) That will be all right.
2) This door won’t open.
Eg: No matter what I said, he won’t listen to me.
The way the guests ___ in the hotel influenced their evaluation of the service
What a pity. Considering his ability and experience, he ____ better.
A. need have done B. must have done
C. can have done D. might have done
Liza ___ well not want to go on the trip --- she hates traveling.
A. will B. can C. must D. may
Although this ____ sound like a simple task, great care is needed.
A. must B. may C. shall D. should
4. should evaluation of the service
1. 用于表劝告、建议。 意为”应该、应当”。
Eg: You should keep your promise.
2. 用于表推测。 意为 “可能、该…”
Eg: 1) It’s 7 o’clock, he should be at home.
2) They should have arrived by now.
I should advise you not to do that.
1. This printer is of good quality. If it _______ break down within the first year, we would repair it at our expense.
A. would B. should C. could D. might
2. —I don’t care what people think.
—Well, you _______
A. could B. would C. should D. might
3. What do you mean, there are only ten tickets? There_____be twelve.
A. should B. would C. will D. shall
5. shall within the first year, we would repair it at our expense.与will
表示请求。 Would 更客气。
1) Shall we begin our discussion?
2) Shall the driver wait?
3) Will you speak louder, please?
2. within the first year, we would repair it at our expense.shall的主语是第二、三人称的陈述句，表示说话人
Eg: 1)You shall get the book tomorrow.
2) He shall be punished.
3) You shall go with me.
4) If you will come to my house.
I will show you my new painting.
一 within the first year, we would repair it at our expense.What does the sign over there read?
一“No person ________ smoke or carry a lighted cigarette，cigar or pipe in this area．”[2007 四川卷]
A．will B．may C．shall D. must
—— What’s the name?——Khulaifi. _______ I spell that for you? A. Shall B. Would C. Can D. Might
6. can’t within the first year, we would repair it at our expense.
Eg: 1) ---Listen, someone is knocking at the door,
who can it be?
--- It can’t be Tom, he has gone abroad.
2) --- Can/ could they have finished the work?
--- No, they can’t have finished the work so soon.
7. must within the first year, we would repair it at our expense.
Eg: 1) You must finish your homework first.
2) Children mustn’t speak like that to their parents.
2. 回答 must 所在的一般疑问句时，否定回答用
“needn’t” “don’t have to”.
Eg: ---Must we finish the work tomorrow?
---No, you needn’t/ don’t have to, but you must
finish it in three days.
Eg: 1) Betty must be in the next room.
2) He must be watering the flowers in his garden.
One of the few things you ____ say about English people with certainty is that they talk a lot about the weather.
A. need B. must C. should D. can
-- Must he come to sign this paper himself? -- Yes, he . A. need B. must C. may D. will
情态动词 certainty is that they talk a lot about the weather.+ have done
一、表示对过去事情的推测或估计 certainty is that they talk a lot about the weather.
1. must have done “想必或肯定已经做了某事”
eg: The ground is rather wet,
so it must have rained last night.
2. may/might have done “可能/大概已经做了某事”
eg: Tom may have gone to shanghai,
but I still not sure about it.
3. can’t/couldn’t have done “不可能已经做了某事”
eg: The ground is very dry,
so it can’t have rained last night
注：在疑问句中 can/could 表示对过去情况的疑问性
eg: Someone must have broken into our bedroom,
Who could have done it?
二、表示对过去所发生事情的遗憾或责备 certainty is that they talk a lot about the weather.
1. should/ought to have done “过去本该做而没做”
eg: I really regretted wasting the hours when
I should have studied hard, but it was too late.
2. shouldn’t/oughtn’t to have done
eg: I’m very sorry for the words I shouldn’t have
said to you at that moment.
3. could/might have done “本来能够做的事却没做”
eg: He could have worked out the problem.
4. needn’t have done “ certainty is that they talk a lot about the weather.原本不必做的事却做了”
eg: Your home is not far from your school, so you
needn’t have left in such a hurry.
5. didn’t need to do/ didn’t have to do
eg: I didn’t need to clean the windows.
My sister did it.
He needn’t have come.
He didn’t need to come.
6. Would rather have done “本想做却未做成”
eg: I would rather have come to help you with your
English, but I was too busy at that time.
He __________ have completed his work; otherwise, he wouldn’t be enjoying himself by the seaside.
A. should B. must C. wouldn’t D. can’t
He paid for a seat, when he ______ have entered free.
A. could B. would C. must D. need
But for the help of my English teacher, Ithe first prize in the English Writing Competition.
A. would not win B. would not have won
C. would win D. would have won
—I’m sorry. I ______ at you the other day.
—Forget it. I was a bit out of control myself.
A. shouldn’t shout B. shouldn’t have shouted
C. mustn’t shout D. mustn’t have shouted
As you worked late yesterday, you _________ have come this morning. A. mayn’t B. can’t C. mustn’t D. needn’t