BCC Vision Statement:. We are an open and affirming Christian community that is committed to sharing the unconditional love of Christ by serving others with compassion, integrity, moral courage, divine discipline and intelligent faith. . 1John 3:11-24. 1Jnc3:11 This is the message you heard from
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. 1 John 3:11-24 What’s Love Got to Do With It? Everything Beloved Community Church
“Thursday’s Thurst for Truth” Bible Study
June 5, 2008
2. BCC Vision Statement: We are an open and affirming Christian community that is committed to sharing
the unconditional love of Christ
by serving others with
compassion, integrity, moral courage,
divine discipline and intelligent faith.
3. 1John 3:11-24 1Jnc3:11 This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another.
1Jn 3:12 Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother’s were righteous.
1Jn 3:13 Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you.
1Jn 3:14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death.
4. 1John 3:11-24 1Jn 3:15 Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.
1Jn 3:16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.
1Jn 3:17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?
1Jn 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
5. 1John 3:11-24 1Jn 3:19 This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence
1Jn 3:20 whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.
1Jn 3:21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God
6. 1John 3:11-24 1Jn 3:22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him.
1Jn 3:23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.
1Jn 3:24 Those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.
7. The Compassion: vv 11-18 John says that God has told us from the beginning, we are to love one another.
As Christians, are we obligated to love one another?
Order a car:
Standard equipment = love
Standard equipment not based on characteristic of driver
8. PSA The way you treat others
has absolutely nothing
to do with the way
they treat you
9. The Compassion: vv 11-18 John uses the example of Cain to show how terrible the outcome can be when we don’t love one another.
John intentionally uses the example of Cain and Abel because this fight was inside the family, between two brothers.
The tensions that occurred at the time 1John was written was not between the Christians and the Jews, as was the situation when the Gospel of John was written, but the tensions existed within the Christian family.
10. The Compassion: vv 11-18 Too often, we have Cain-like spirits in the Church
Ex: jealous over who sings solos
Ex: envy over who gets to head a ministry, whose Sunday School class is more popular
In our Christian family, hatred and indifference to one another is the same as murder to John.
11. The Compassion: vv 11-18 John says in verse 13 that we shouldn’t’ be surprised if the world hates us because the world hated our Father.
But if we love each other, we have passed from death to life? What does this mean?
Sometimes we are so preoccupied and afraid of death
John is saying that if you don’t love each other, you are already dead
If dwell in God’s abiding love thru Jesus Christ then cannot hate others
12. The Compassion: vv 11-18 To hate others = abide in the Enemy
Abide in the Enemy = not in the light
Not in light = spiritual death
Just waiting for your body to be in sync with your spirit.
The supreme example of the kind of love we should have for each other is in Jesus’ willingness to lay down his life for us; this is agape love.
13. The Compassion: vv 11-18 What does it mean to lay down your life for a brother or sister? Does it mean you have to literally die for him or her?
means making sacrifices; seek best for him or her, even if it cost you something.
real love is action, not just words.
1Cor. 13:4-7: Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes always perseveres.
Sometimes it’s easier to say we’ll die for others than to live for them.
14. The Confidence: vv 19-24 As we try to walk this Christian journey, at times our hearts will “accuse” us
We may feel guilty that we are not living as we should, we are not treating others as we should.
John tries to reassure us that our hearts can rest in the presence of God because God’s love has been active in our lives as we have tried to help others.
John says don’t be too hard on yourself; God knows your desires to live by God’s word, even when you fall short.
15. PSA Immobilizing guilt is
a trick of the Enemy
Mobilizing guilt is
a gift from God
16. The Confidence: vv 19-24 Sometimes when we have fallen short, we don’t want to come into the presence of God, we feel too ashamed and unworthy.
John says God accepts us, warts and all.
If we have done what God has asked us to do, we can come boldly before God; whatever we ask of God we will receive because we have obeyed God’s commandments
17. The Confidence: vv 19-24 Does this mean that God will give us everything we ask for?
Model Prayer: Matthew 6:9-10: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Matthew 26:42: He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done
18. The Confidence: vv 19-24 Our petitions are granted when we pray for God’s will in our lives.
We need to mature to the point where we have such a close relationship with God that our prayers are in sync with God’s will.
God commands that we have faith and believe that Jesus is our Savior
The manifestation in our daily walk that we abide in Jesus should be our love for each other